Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introduction to my new axie

AxoPhibian

Reaction score
I recently got a new golden albino axolot. its only about 10 cm long.l He/she is very cute and very active, he/she has probably walked around his new temporay tank about 200 times literally.

Theres one worry that i have about him. I have a silica sand substrate that the little guy has found a taste for and walks round they tank and sometimes stop and points his head down and snaps at the sand he spits most back out. I dont know if thats is dangerous or not because i dont think its eating much. sugestions wether i should take out the sand? or just leave him in there and hopefully grow out of eating it?
I dont think he is at the stage of his life that he is old enough to relise whats food and what isn't.

heres a few pics of him and his temp tank.

t83uc6.jpg

24ee34g.jpg

Hayden

Reaction score
I would take out the sand, especially if he's sampling it. Axolotls can life fine on a bare bottomed tank, and better to be safe than sorry when it comes to impactions. But congrats on the new addition, he's a cutie. What's his name?

AxoPhibian

Reaction score
Dont have a name for it yet. and i have left the sand in. he has appeared to stop eating it

wian

Reaction score
hi i know this isnt my place to say because it is your choice but to me he looks like he should be called compaction
i also would take the sand out because you know he is still young so i think the sand would be like gravel to him
but im not sure
better to be safe then sorry;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!