Floating?

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
My new baby axolotl has been showing some weird behavior lately. He has been floating to the top of the tank but only his left side is floating. I don't know what is happening so if anyone can help me please do. This is urgent!

Have been asking same question on forum twice - no advice yet :( and my guy is still floating as well (but eats and swims like healthy).

there are lots of threads on this forum regarding floating. It is a common problem. Try doing a search and reading through the already existing threads - you may find your answers a lot faster than just posting and waiting for questions about your set up.

I've seen the side-floating once. I don't know what caused it, but I believed it to be some sort of systemic infection. I would take the affected animals to a veterinarian and see if they're able to draw fluid from the abdominal cavity.

I've been going round-a-bouts with one of my juvies for weeks now, chasing one problem that leads into another before the first one can be cured... it's been a mess. From what I've learned these last few weeks, that tilting float can be symptomatic of a systemic bacterial infection (as Kaysie suggested). As long as he's still eating and pooping normally, I would recommend keeping the water as cool as possible and reducing stress by lowering the water level or adding in plenty of plants/decorations so he'll be able to "touch down" rather than floating. If he's not eating well, I would recommend a stay in the fridge for no less than 14 days. If after all that, his condition isn't improved, medication might be in order.

Please keep in mind that this is all based on advice I got for my own axie, to be absolutely sure you're doing the best thing for him, you should take him to a vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back