Keeping newts cool

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Senad
Hey, I have had trouble keeping my newts cool lately and my house temperature is at 78-80.Therefore my newts tank is that temperature.I was just wondering how to keep them cool other then putting them to the basement since I can't because I live in a apartment.i also looked on caudata culture and those are not my options either maybe you guys have a easy way of keeping them cool?

Some people have had success by placing a fan above their tank. Others have used a ice pack, freeze it tehn place in teh tank ( might work betetr if in tank water) If you keep doing this ( i advise two ice packs) then tempreture should slowly decrees. Could try those methods, dont knwo if tehy'l do teh job for you, but worth i try i suppose.

Good luck

The CC article summarizes most possible options:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling
If you seriously cannot manage any of those, then should you really be keeping caudates in captivity? I'd suggest going back to that article and thinking harder about how you might adapt some of the methods to what you have available.

As rebel mentions, fans and cold packs are options. Fans are very effective, but should be used for fully aquatic species. In a terrarium, a fan will dry out the substrate and/or the animal rather quickly.

Would ice cubes on top of a mesh tank lid be plausible? - the higher the room temperature, the more ice melts, dripping cool water into the tank.

Oh ok thanks never thought of the icepack idea.I'am going to try that.

This is just a thought that I have had for a while now but never tried, should work however.

Instead of just cooling one tank one could cool 2 tanks the same time. Using a well isolated wood box with a freezer under, then the pipes goes from the freezer up and trough the terrarium bottom(one pipe where coold air blows out and the other for change of air. All is controlled by a computer fan attached in front of one pipe hole inside the freezer. This way both tanks should get the same temperature and it should also not become cold drafts for the animals. Perhaps it would be a good idea to place a cold humidifiers inside the wood box as well.

grius-albums-google-sketchup-picture21751-dgregrrgr.jpg

grius-albums-google-sketchup-picture21752-sfefeefefe.jpg

Someone should try this so I dont have to.

How about getting a room air conditioner. They make them now so that all you need to do is vent them outside....No more sticking the units into the window...

How about getting a room air conditioner. They make them now so that all you need to do is vent them outside....No more sticking the units into the window...

How could i forgot that. Portable air conditioning is absolutly the easiest way to cool down a hole room.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back