Illness/Sickness: Please help!

ChibiAxy

Reaction score
Country
United States
My juvenile axolotl is having a lot of difficulty staying at the bottom of his tank. He's struggling just to stay down long enough to eat. Sometimes he floats butt-up and sometimes he floats up pretty level. I know there's a lot of forums on floating, I just seem to have bad luck in finding what I need. Please help me. I want to figure out what's wrong so that I can help him before it gets bad. Any advice??? :(

What are you feeding? What's your tank temperature? What kind of substrate do you have?

My temperature stays around 65 Fahrenheit, and he has a diet of bloodworms and pellets. I don't have substrate right now, but I was considering getting sand.

How big is it? How often do you feed it?

He is about three inches, maybe a little more. I give him bloodworms Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and a pellet on Saturday.

Have you tried refrigeration? I would lower your water level so it's touching the floor.

I have him in a travel case with the water low so he can rest. I would do that with the whole tank, but he has a tank mate (they're separated with a divider since their still young) who is still perfectly fine. I could give refrigeration a shot, but how long would I leave him there for?

Theoretically, he could live in the fridge forever.

But for constipation, usually 3-4 days will do. Also, you could try feeding more often to stimulate gut movement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back