Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Outdoor setup in Scotland (lots of pics)

peter5930

Reaction score
Here it is. Should be fairly self-explanatory.

This big tank doesn't have any caudates in it, and I'm just using it as a giant daphnia culture at the moment. I might use it for something large and territorial, or just fill it with hundreds and hundreds of something smaller:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21760-a.jpg

Each of these tanks is 3ft by 1.5ft. I got 50 of them at £12 each from a guy who got them second-hand from a commercial fish breeder. I'm planning to get more soon.

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21761-a.jpg

I have axolotls in the pond and the pondquarium in this picture. The pondquarium had a leak, which I've hopefully fixed, but I haven't refilled it yet. There's still plenty of room for the axolotls though, since it goes down to a good depth below ground and that leak was at the bottom corner of one of the panels, where the ground had subsided and pulled the liner away:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21762-a.jpg

Time will tell if I put enough concrete under these shelves to prevent them from slowly sinking into the ground:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21763-a.jpg

As you can see, I'm incredibly neat and tidy in everything I do:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21764-a.jpg

About half the tanks are empty, waiting for things to fill them:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21765-a.jpg

Those newspapers will eventually be converted to newts and salamanders, via an intermediate stage in which they're converted into worms in my compost bins:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21766-a.jpg

An air distribution manifold. It's connected to a garden hose with liberal amounts of hot-melt glue, and the hose is connected at the other end to a large air pump in the garage:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21767-a.jpg

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21768-a.jpg

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21769-i-used-hot-melt-glue-join-hoses-air-distribution-system.jpg

A closeup of one of the tanks. This one has banded newt juveniles in it:

peter5930-albums-outdoor-tanks-scotland-picture21770-a.jpg

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you let me live in your garden i promise to help and keep the cats away.

Martin21114

Reaction score
That's quite a set up. My condo association would completely freak out if I did that outside:D

xxianxx

Reaction score
Always nice to see an obsessive at work ! Somebody else's collection I can point to when my wife is whinging about the number of tanks I have, it may shut her up for a bit.

peter5930

Reaction score
If you let me live in your garden i promise to help and keep the cats away.

Will you defend the whiteworm cultures in the garage from the mice, too? You can have a guard tiger salamander to help you.

donny

Reaction score
You are nuts...looks like a (glorious) full time job keeping that lot in order. I see you are in Glasgow which is a bit milder, but does freezing cause any problems?

peter5930

Reaction score
Last winter was particularly mild, so there weren't any problems, but if we have another severe winter like the couple before that, I think I'll do my best to insulate the tanks with bubble wrap and polystyrene sheet to minimise the risk of the ice cracking the glass. Time will tell if I'll win out over the weather.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!