Illness/Sickness: DESPERATE PLEA. Not eating, red veins,

Yindy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are so many threads on here already about poorly axi's but I've looked through loads and can't find anything that matches my problem well. I have a young female about a year old, hasn't eaten anything in about three weeks. Her gills and tail are permanently bright red and all of her little veins on her skin are visible. She's not over active so it's not that. The water is fine, I have two other girls in there and they're fine. Her tummy looked puffy a while back but not so much now. They only have pebbles so highly unlikely she's managed to swallow one, they're pretty big. Her tail seems to be bent round slightly but she does straighten out when she moves.
Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated or direct if you could direct me over to a thread that could help.

How warm is your tank? Do you test your water parameters?

How big are the pebbles? You'd be amazed at how big an object an axolotl can swallow.

The girls are all at my mums at the moment because I've just moved house so can't test now but I'm heading over there tomorrow to bring her here and fridge her, I'm terrified she'll just starve to death so if I can slow her metabolism and buy some time while I check everything out. We had a male in the tank and took him out after we got babies, which weren't hers, I'm wondering if his mating dances stressed her out. She seems very light sensitive so the tank lid is always on.. Will post results tomorrow. Thanks for replying

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back