Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Indian Almond Leaves

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm now researching the use of Indian almond leaves in our axolotl tank as a means of providing an anti-fungal remedy.

On the advice of two staff members at our local pet store, who have axolotls as pets themselves, I added dissolved aquarium salt to our tank last week and it seems to be clearing up the stress coat on our little black one.

Can anyone give me advice on the benefits of aquarium salt against Indian almond leaves, or vice versa, to prevent fungal infection to our axolotls?

I've ordered Indian almond leaves from amy-lim on Ebay after following a link in a post on this forum.

Can we use aquarium salt and Indian almond leaves, or should we cycle the salt treated water out of our tank before introducing the Indian almond leaves to the tank?

Thanks in advance for your help:happy:

Mach

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Adding salt as a buffer is fine, and axolotls generally do better in harder water. But if you're looking for a general preventative, the almond leaves are the way to go.

I would just add the almond leaves and do water changes as normal, leaving the salt out (unless you have soft water).

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I also bought some Almond leaves from Amy and they helped my little guys a good deal.

I've since used them mostly as a preventative measure for fungus when my Axie injured his arm and another time when another Axie had a tiny wisp of white stuff hanging from his mouth. Both times it either prevented fungus or removed the tiny bit that existed.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought I would let you all know that the Indian Almond Leaves arrived on Monday.

We've been having water quality problems, and we got the PH under control only to find that the ammonia level was way too high.

That's sorted now too, and the water quality is now perfect.

I've added the Indian Almond Leaves tonight and am hoping that it helps one of our little ones to lose the stress coat she got after she came to live with us, and to help her to grow back her gills.

We didn't realise when we bought her that she had no feathery gills similar to those of our gold axolotl (whose are bright pink) bought at the same time.

This has been a rollercoaster for us, and we've appreciated all the help and advice we've got on this forum.

We just want to make sure that we're doing whatever is right for our little friends.

Thanks to all of you :)

Mach

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!