Question: Lots of Questions about my Tank set up!

Rainy222

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rainbow
Alrighty, so after a few days of hardcore Axolotl care reading, I think I am ready to get my 'tank shopping list' thrown together. I've been checking stores and availability, and I think I will be able to get everything I need sometime tomorrow so I can get my tank home to start letting it cycle!
Right now I have on the list:

- 20 Gallon Tank (I honestly forgot to write down the dimensions of it when I was at the store, but it was much, much longer than it was tall, they'll have plenty of room to wriggle around!)
- Filter/Thermometer/Hood all included with the tank (I plan on altering the filter to minimize water flow, since it is a hang on. It also comes with a water heater, but I obviously won't be needing that!)
- Sand for flooring (I was thinking of just getting some cheap play sand from the store.)
- 2-5 rock caves/hides/decorations (more if I can)!
- 3-5 live plants (I have been looking at Java Moss, Anubias, and Crypto variations, since they seem to do good in dimmer conditions)
- Fake plants for both in the tank and for top floating
- Water conditioner
- Gravel Siphon
- A good variety of food! (Would something like this be acceptable for general feedings? I'd also like to see if I can find any frozen worm varieties, and pick up some earth worms from my back field.)
- The Axolotl! ;) It'll be a little while yet though, I don't think I have the skill to dump one into a brand spankin' new tank!

I have also had some ideas about getting it started that I wanted to double check with you all on, as I couldn't find any information about it elsewhere!

Firstly, could I use some of my guppy tank water as a 'base' for my new tank to help it begin the cycle? I always do this when starting up a new guppy hatching tank, but I don't want to do it for the Axies if it would somehow hurt the process. My guppies are all very healthy and disease free, but their water always tends to be a bit extra Alkaline.

Secondly (and I hope this doesn't sound too horrible!), do you think I could feed some of my excess guppies to the Axolotl? I always have plenty of extras which I either give to the local pet stores or friends, but if the Axies would have fun hunting guppies, would it be an acceptable form of treat? They wouldn't be used as a serious staple in their diet, but if they enjoy them and it helps even out my population numbers, would it hurt the Axie to have a guppy snack every now and then?

Hmmm, I think that is everything! I hope I haven't forgotten anything cruicial for the shopping list! xD

in general it sounds good!

Just want to point out a few things i've found during the month i've had my axie. My java moss immediately died (not sure if because tank was cycling or due to temp), you can have a bare floor if you want, and I feed a diet of earthworm, 1st/2nd instar Dubia Nymphs, and pellets. You only really need the earthworms, but i hate cutting up worms (esp. since the pet store sold me a mix of red wigglers and earthworms GRRR) so the variety is more for me. I also have a large colony of dubias so its just easy. I feed API sinking pellets, but someone told me these were good too, but I'm not sure on that (HBH Newt & Salamander Bites ~ Petco)

She has quickly (as in 1 day) learned to eat out of a bowl (wider bowl and flat as possible seems to be better) and that helps eliminate the mess, because after a few minutes of submersion, those pellets become MESSY when they hoover it up. X_X

Make sure to cycle your tank before adding the poor axie...i wasnt told about that and feel awful about having to do it with her in it. Its almost done though *thank god!*.

Another thing i found that i had an Aqueon QuietFlow drop in filter, and she HATED it. I dont know how to make the flow less strong, so that might not be a factor for you. I now have a sponge filter, and it doesnt bother her at all. The drop in was making her so stressed she was crashing into the tank walls! Took it out asap.

Thank you for the tips Sapphire!
I took some time to look up bowl feeding for Axies like you said, and it does look a lot easier, I think I'll definitely add a bowl to the list! ;D

For the filter I plan on using this method, I've tried it out with my other fish and it works really well, so hopefully the Axies will be happy with it too! :D If he/she doesn't like it though, I'll be sure to have an extra sponge filter on hand just in case so the poor lil thing isn't too stressed.

I have a hanging filter too, I set up a cistern set up. The filter dumps in to a hollow (fake) rock which is attached to the glass under the filter outlet with 2 holes that let some water flow against the glass like a waterfall. There's a tube that takes the rest of the water and lets is out below the surface, my Axie live to swim around a lot at night so I try to keep the water as calm as possible and this works AMAZINGLY. I added a really poor picture of the set up. It's in the top right of the pic.
And I'm totally switching to bowl feeding that's cool!

Attachments

• P1040544.jpg
    P1040544.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 571
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back