Herping in Missouri?

Caudae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone had any luck finding Salamanders in Missouri? I didn't get out of the car, but was almost positive I seen a flock of Siren intermedia on the road during a very heavy rainstorm in March last year. Both types of Hellbenders are found here, but yet to have time to get down in the Ozarks to see them. Also heard there is Necturus maculosus subsp. louisianensis near the border of Arkansas.

If you find a good spot please post. I went out in March 2012 in Southern Missouri and found nothing but frogs. I saw a Siren wiggle away from me in a wood pile that suspiciously looked like a home for snakes...so I didn't go in :(

I sincerely doubt the flock of sirens and the siren in a wood pile.

Anyhow, I was in Missouri last week and I saw a ton of salamanders, including Ambystoma annulatum, Eurycea longicauda, Plethodon albagula, and Ambystoma maculatum. You need to spend time in the right places! And please do not post localities publicly!

If you find a good spot please post. I went out in March 2012 in Southern Missouri and found nothing but frogs. I saw a Siren wiggle away from me in a wood pile that suspiciously looked like a home for snakes...so I didn't go in :(
Lol...as a field herper I'll be the snake advocat here. There's nothing to fear snake wise in a wood pile. I don't think any S. MO hots would hang around in wood piles.

I know this post is a bit old, but I'm curious as to how many Missouri herpers are out there, especially in my neck of the woods. I'm down in the southwestern corner of the state.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back