Axolotls in groups/pairs

e80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering do axolotls do better on their own or in pairs/groups

I have had my two in a pair since last year and they seem to be fine no fighting or niping so far. I can come back fe=rom work and find them sat on one another or sharing a the log that is in the tank

They do fine on their own, and don't require company. You can keep them in multiples (regardless of sex) as long as you have adequate space/water/hides.

Hi just wondering how to go about introducing another axy to my first? Whens best and at what age is best?

Hi just wondering how to go about introducing another axy to my first? Whens best and at what age is best?
Hi,
There are several conditions :
- both must be more or less the same size,
- avoid introducing them if they are less than 4 inches long. Under this size, they have strong cannibalistic trends and tend to nip each other's limbs or tail;
- they should not be stressed before introducing : temperature Ok, not too much nitrates, ...
- they should be very well fed before they meet.

If possible, introduce the new axie in the evening.

Even if all these conditions are met, check their behavior during the next days.

Also is it best to do 100% water changes every week/every other week or month?

Hi,
- avoid introducing them if they are less than 4 inches long. Under this size, they have strong cannibalistic trends and tend to nip each other's limbs or tail;
- they should not be stressed before introducing : temperature Ok, not too much nitrates, ...

Even if all these conditions are met, check their behavior during the next days.
Thanks for the info 👍🦎

Hi,

Axolotls are cannibals all their lives. In their first year of life they are trying to get as big as possible and are trying to feed a lot, this can cause them to be a bit nippy. This tendency can be vastly reduced by providing plenty of food. Food availabilty is the key to reducing injuries. My technique to introducing new axolotls of the same size to each other is putting them in the same tank......

Also is it best to do 100% water changes every week/every other week or month?
There are many current schedules so it's very difficult to answer. It depends on your tank, filtered or not, heavily planted or not, with light or not.

I personnally make little or no water changes because I have axolotls in an equilibrate aquarium (heavily planted, with fast-growing plants, and lightened). My aquariums are never filtered. My plants do uptake ammonia as soon as it is produced, so np ammonia, no nitrites and almost no nitrates.
I generally do a near 100% water change at the end of winter when I want to stimulate my animals for breeding.

If you are in another situation, I think some other hobbyists will be able to give you adapted advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back