Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can Fridge 2 Axi's in same container?

Yindy

Reaction score
I have one girl in the fridge and another who has recently had eggs (only about 20 which I found odd) who has just regurgitated food from about 2 days ago whole.. and now just makes feeble snapping motions at worms when I try to feed her.. like she cant open her mouth properly. Gills are droopy but tail is straight. I don't have much more room for another container because each side of this container is about 40cm.. would they be ok together? I'd be worried about the waste, would 2 changes a day suffice if they can bunk up?
:( I've just ordered a new testing kit because I've recently moved out & cant find mine so wont be able to check parameters for a few days, eek. So would love to get her out of there asap.

Thanks guys!! Please help if you can, they're such characters I'd be devastated if anthing happened..
x :confused:

Yindy

Reaction score
Forgot to mention neither are eating so I doubt we'll have lost limbs just concerned about the waste build up.
If I don't get a reply by tomorrow afternoon I'm going to pop her in, she needs fridging. :(

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
If their having problems eating, I have been hearing that fridging them is a bad thing. When you fridge them, they will loose their appetite. And I think that keeping them together in a bin like that will be fine for fridging purposes as long as you change the water frequently.

esn

Reaction score
If she only laid 20 and no more in a couple of days, she was likely just getting rid of some extra eggs in her system. Sort of the same way women have periods or chickens lay dud eggs almost every day. If they aren't getting pregnant, something has to happen with the eggs!

Personally, I would just go ahead and fridge her for a week and pull her back out to see if she eats. Not eating is likely due to something with the water or her body, so fridging is the best way to stop that before you see any other symptoms. I'm not sure what others will say, but in a container that size I'd put them both in. I've transported multiple axolotls in the same container before, and two in a container around that size. Since they'll be chilled and inactive, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine never eat when they're in the fridge anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1