Shipping Adult Axolotls

carsona246

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carson
So it looks like I'm going to have to find my 2 axolotls a good home due to future employment possibilities, and so far the only interest from fellow caudata members are from people who are too far for me to drive to. I was really hoping for some good advice on the feasibility of shipping adult axolotls. I have no problem paying extra for shipping, I just want them to safely arrive at their new home. I haven't found too many threads on the subject, so I was hoping to just list what I was planning on doing and hoping someone would critique my plan
So I read breather bags were the best, and I should double bag the axolotls with no air in the breather bag(I heard a while ago that double bagging led to the bags popping, has anyone else heard this?)
I'm going to get a large Styrofoam box to ship them in, and possibly a cold pack depending on the weather, here in Arkansas it's been between 70-85 depending on the day so I'll have to check before hand
Check the weather before I ship, and make sure it's the best weather I can have
I won't be feeding my 2 a few days before I ship, and I'll make sure the water they're in is as cold as I can before they get shipped.

Any more tips suggestions or critiques?
Thanks

I am sure a couple others will also comment. What you said so far sounds good. I would find out when the latest time is you can drop a package off to still have it go out that day to minimize them sitting at the post waiting to be loaded.

Definantly use cold water and use an ice pack. It is still well below 70 here in Michigan but other states are warmer.

Make sure you don't fill the bags up with too much water. A lot of water will cause a lot of sloshing around and we all know how much axolotls hate water movement.

I've read people say that all the fish they've received where double bagged. I think that if you make sure there is no air or water between the two bags, you shouldn't have to worry.

You should also package with peanuts/noodles. That way the entire thing is insulated.

Shipping adults isn't all that different from shipping juveniles, just 'more'.

They need larger bags. I like them to be at least as long as the axolotl, so it has a little bit of room to move around. I fill the bags 3/4 of the way up. Having too much air in a bag causes sloshing. The more water you have, the less sloshing there is. But you need a fairly substantial air pocket to prevent suffocation.

I've used breather bags and regular bags. Regular ones I double bag, one upside down inside the other to prevent leaks. Use a straw to slide one bag inside the other. You'll know what I'm talking about once you try. Don't double-bag breather bags.

Wrap your ice pack in a towel, and put a layer of insulation between the ice pack and the axolotls. I use lots of newspaper crumpled up to keep the bags from moving around inside the box. This also helps soak up any leaks.

Ship only on Monday or Tuesday. That gives you time to find a package before it sits all weekend.

would fridging them prior to shipping be a good idea? That way it would be fairly easy to change 100% of their water to make as little waste as possible in the water, they'd poo out everything before I shipped them, and the water would be very cold before being shipped.
Thoughts?

We ship plants and if you put too much water in with the plants, people report to us that the plant came in with torn leaves because it's been thrown around the whole time. My axolotls were also shipped to me and the bag was probably a quarter filled or less. I just can't imagine how putting more water in the bag can ever be better than less water. More water will cause the axolotl to be thrown from end to end, up and down and all around. Less water will only allow him to be moved to where the water actually is. Besides, more water makes it heavier, costing more and more likely for the bag to break.

And yes, refrigerating them before hand is a great idea.

Plants are not axolotls.

Less water will allow waste to build up faster, poisoning the axolotl in-route. Less water will slosh the axolotl around the bag from end to end. More water will prevent the axolotl from being sloshed. Put one in a bag and try it. I've done this a time or two; I think I know what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't refrigerate them before hand, unless you're shipping them with an ice pack too. Otherwise they're just going to warm up in the post.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back