Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotl gulps air from the top of tank

martin7283

Reaction score
Hi my axalotl swims to the top quite alot and seems to gulp air is this something they do or not as im new to this i have a 90litr tank and just have a filter running in it

AxoPhibian

Reaction score
Re: My axalotl gulps air from the top of tank

I think it means that there is not enough oxygen curculating through the tank for them to breath.

but dont worry thats not a major problem

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

As long as it's not going to the surface to breathe constantly, it's normal.

richardj

Reaction score

And it's cute when they suddenly let a little bubble out of their mouth :happy:

martin7283

Reaction score

would it be better it i put an aerator stone in there i have been looking onhere an people seem to have them in there tanks

AxoPhibian

Reaction score

You can and it might be better, buts its not a major. depending how you setup your filter you should be able to set it up so it airates the water.

martin7283

Reaction score

he seems to be floating today does this mean he has an air bubble in his belly if so how do u get rid of it gettin bit worried now

AxoPhibian

Reaction score

He has either hasn't spat out his bubble yet or he has gas. should sort it out by himself. Is he an adult or still young? if so how old?

martin7283

Reaction score

he is still young only bout 3 inchs long i got him on friday last week plannin on getting another one this week to go with him they had 2 in the shop together so im goin to get the one that was with him

AxoPhibian

Reaction score

oh that will be why hes floating, when they are young they arn't as skilled at gulping air as adults but he'll learn. BUT dont get me wrong adults do it too and get a bubble stuck and float. just leave him be he should work it out by himself.

On another point be carefull wheen getting him a tank make when they are both still young. When they are young they havn't established what is food and what isn't so if you get another one expect to go look at them one day and descover that ones missing a leg or too :D this is not completly bad though because they will grow their limbs back, their new ones might not be as perfect as their first set. The bad thing though is this is VERY stressfull on the axolotl. You could try obvoiding this by putting in a splitter untill they are both a bit older, but if you have a large enough tank lossing limb may not be a problem.

What are the dimentions of your tank? in cm's :D

martin7283

Reaction score

hi its L92 cm x W30cm x D32cm its a big tank he seems lost in there at the mo lol

AxoPhibian

Reaction score

I have a tank that exact size!!! they should be alright but there is still a risk of them eating each others limbs, jus make sure when feeding them you feed them on opposite sides of the tank. as the sometimes can mistake anothers legs as feed when it comes to feeding time. When they become adults theres no worries about them eating limbs. May happen on the rare occasion but its never happened to me in 3 years so you'll be fine :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!