20% water change

martin7283

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im due to do my 1st 20% water change do i use water straight from the tap to do this or do i have to do anythin with it first sorry if this seems a silly question im new to this

You need to add a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine before you add the water to the tank. You may be able to get away with leaving the water overnight if your water company don't use chloramine in the water, but Hampshire definitely do. I still think it is best to be safe anyway, as even if it's left overnight the chlorine won't necessarily all be gone anyway.

Hi,
Just add dechlorinator and let it sit for about half an hour to let it reach the same temp as the tank.

Also forgot to say, it is best to leave the water for a few hours so that it is the same temperature as the tank before you put it in, as temperature fluctuations can stress axies. Do you have a testing kit for ammonia/nitrites? Just asking as I didn't know all this when I got mine!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back