Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2months old but still only 2cm long?!

grets66

Reaction score
Our little ones hatched over 2 months ago, but they are still really really tiny. The biggest one is 3cm long and wants to eat all the others but most of them are only max. 2cm or less long. We keep feeding them arthemia 2 times per day and also keep cleaning the water almost daily.
Why are they still so small?
From what I have read they should be quite big already?
I have already separated some of them so they would not hurt eachother.
What have we been doing wrong?
Or what can we do to speed up the process?
Or is it maybe because they are the first eggs of the mother?

Please somebody give me some advice because to tell the truth this seems a bit of waist of time and money on their food, because they dont seem to be groing just dying one by one.
:(

Thank You

Neil C

Reaction score
Can you get live blackworms where you live? If you can chop them up fine and your babies will love them. If you can't get them then try frozen bloodworm. Your babies will grow a lot faster once they start eating these. Good luck.

Regards Neil

grets66

Reaction score
I think it is quite cold, it isnt 20C but since they are all in separate bols and things then I can get it warmer or maybe I can somehow?

melfly

Reaction score
I would say its the temp.
My winter babies grow sooooo slow!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1