California Newt owner and new member

kieutiepie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

Earlier this year I adopted two California Newts. I hadn't intended on being a new owner, but I just couldn't say no to their cute little faces. The two were abandoned at a pet shop and taken in by a girl that worked there. For a year, she had them in a 5 gallon container and was caring for them in addition to her many other pets.

Since I've had them, they have fattened up a lot and are enjoying their 29 gallon tank with live plants, driftwood, and plenty of worms, slugs, and mosquito larvae for snacks.

Since California Newts can be somewhat uncommon to find as pets, I wanted to share my pics with Caudata. Their names are Kog'maw and Galio.
Aquarium Crazy: California Newts

OH yea. Hi. I'm Kieu. =}

What beautiful critters! Welcome to the forum :D

Welcome to the forum! I'm a bit of a newbie myself but I had to comment of your great pictures. We own Taricha granulosas ("Rough skinned newts"), closely related to yours, and we enjoy them very much. But we've always wanted to own a California newt (Taricha torosa) as well.. I love their large eyes and and longer legs. Beautiful to look at!

Welcome again!

Hello! Thanks so much. =} I became a California Newt fan only after meeting these guys! I love their little "froggy" faces. I'll have to look up the granulosas a little more, and will keep sharing my postings with caudata! I have some new pics to add soon. You can see how fat they've gotten. =x

Thanks. Yes, seeing all the pictures are one of my favorites parts of ths forum. I will look forward to your updates. I really think California Newts are beautiful looking ( like you say, the "froggy" faces)...and, if they have the personality that my Taricha granulosas have as well, then, I'm an instant fan!

I'll watch out for your updates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back