Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to get it to pump water

dad of axle

Reaction score
Hello I have bought a new filter for my axolotl tank a Hopar KF-2218 and i took it out of the box and put most of it together but I cant work out how to get the water flowing through it as when I turn it on it doesnt pump the water.

I bought this new pump because the current tankmaid is very noisy and I was hoping that I could get a quieter system as I have it hooked up to a Halliea Chiller that operates 24/7 as it is nearly always too hot in my flat without it running.

so does anyone have any possible suggestions as to why I cant get the water to pump through it, it sounds like the filter works it just doesnt pump water into it

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Priming the pump means to fill the pump housing with water before plugging it in. This is extremely important because the motors are water-cooled, and if you run them for any length of time without water, you'll burn it up.

dad of axle

Reaction score
Thanks both of you, I hadn't primed the pump. I have done so now and attached the spray bar and outlet cover too (I thought they were just optional extras and not necessary to get it to run). It is working now.

Tomorrow I will have a go at hooking up the chiller to it and see if it can run through it too.

It is so much quieter than the previous Filter and has lots of media in it, though it is rather large in comparison to the tank maid that was designed for upto 200 ltrs this new filter is designed for a lot more but with the spray bar their is no problem with exessive water flow to disturb my Axie.:happy:

lea

Reaction score
Attaching the chiller is easy when you are doing it to a canister filter. YOu need to get a peice of hose from your OUT on your filter to your IN on your chiller then a hose from your OUT on your chiller to your tank.
So the water will go from your tank(through your filter)to your chiller back into your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1