Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two Questions about Chillers

Mr Poseidon

Reaction score
Dayton, Oh (summer) Charleston SC (fall winter spr
1. Since i have not a clue what is going on with chillers, and im going to need one in the next month or so. How do i figure out what HP i need? i currently have a 20gal but am planing on expanding to a 50-70(im building it my self i havent decided on the dimensions for sure yet). basically i need to know everything about chillers as they are expensive and i only want to buy one and be done with it!

2. beacuse im sure i am not the only one who has no idea what is going on with chillers. would it be possible to create some Sticky. that way i wouldnt have to post this and i could save your time =D

i attempted to use the search function but alas i am inept....

=D thanks yall!

lea

Reaction score
I check the litres in the tank and then checked the chillers. When I thought I found the one I needed I went into the local shop(that stocked them) and asked them if I was right. One thing they said a lot was if the chiller is borderline(in litres chilled) go up the the next size unit. I hope this makes some sense.

L

lvbg1435

you all so can get a chiller fan deepens how hot your house gets and their about 15 bucks to 30 bucks or if you have a house hold clip on fan some type of fan. but with chillers will all so need other thing some times like Aquarium Temperature Controller Control Auto Chiller Heater Thermostat.
if you ever owns a salt water fish tank you would do lot more home work be for just buying one name brand as chiller bands do different things some have UV lights some have all the bells and Wiesel's
do you have an ac in the room where the tank is ? winter time the easiest time of year . so you'll only need it manly for summer if you don't run a ac unit in your house or deepens on your lights your filter if it only a round 70 in the tank your fine at least in my book now if your tank hits 80s or 90s for any water tank that's bad news less you have land critters like chameleons .:violent:

look in to getting a nano chiller their on the lower price rang.
i would look in to Nova Tec IceProbe Water Chiller their on the low end even used they go for 80 so.. yeah chillers are more then your hole tank some times
i really would look on salt water forums and ask a lot since it for fresh water it will need less horse power

and it would be really helpful if we know what the temp is in your home or if it has an ac unit ..
i hope some of this helps their a lot on chillers just that depends where you live how hot how cold how hot dos you light get how hot dos you filter get in mexico it gets hot some times so their water not all way in the 60s theirs a lot still unknown about this critter that people are still finding out .
i just got my axolotls the other day but from fish keeping and chameleon keeping and other type of critter s i own i can tell you that the rules are a lot similar.

Last edited:

Mr Poseidon

Reaction score
Dayton, Oh (summer) Charleston SC (fall winter spr
Thanks for yalls replys

I live in South Carolina, and we "have" AC but its not a good system (unreliable/bad insulation) itll be up in the 90s out side soon.
i do have a desk fan and with a sponge filter and a bubbler. my water evaporates pretty quickly but it does help. i dont imagine it holding up over the summer. with work and summer class i dont have time to monitor the temp with ice bottels and what not.

i know there is a lot that goes into chillers. all sorts of options. hench why i think there should be some sort of sticky where one could go to start to get an idea of what they need. Ive been researching on my own and am still unsure of what HP to get and how much it will actually effect the water temp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1