Eating problems

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Razzledazzle
My axolotl Krakken has not been eating worms lately. He's hungry! And he'll quickly bite at the worms, but then a minute after it's in his mouth he 'coughs' it up (closest thing to compare it to). Once he coughs out the worm, I'll take a new worm and try to feed him again, but he will refuse to eat it :/

He is usually a big eater, but he has been having this problem for about 4 or 5 days now.
I've been feeding my axolotls trout worms (instead of earth worms) because their smaller and easier for them to eat. I've also been feeding them worms for a couple of months now, so it's something new for him to get use to. And I do not have gravel at the bottom of my tank.

Any ideas in how to help this little dood out?

Try changing to frozen bloodworms for a couple of days and then go back to earthworms. Im guessing the worms have a funny taste and that is why he wont eat it. You could try soaking the worm for a little while before feeding time, this might be enough to take the yuk taste off.

I've been feeding him frozen blood worms for the past couple days now, and he has been eating them without any problems thankfully. But I just don't understand why he would start having a problem all of a sudden when this has been what I've been feeding him for a while now.

I'm going to do some experimenting in what he will and wont eat. I like the soaking of the worms idea. I'm also going to cut up worms into little chunks and see if he would eat it that way (to see if he likes tiny bite sized pieces). I'm also going to try to just cut the worm in half to kill it before I feed him it (just incase the live worm moving around hurts his belly in some way).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back