Hello from Perth Newbie

2gsom

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone, We have joined this site as a family as we are working on getting some Axolotl for our daughters and wanted to research their needs, habitat requirements and the best ways to keep them healthy and happy. This is our first expedition into Axolotyl, We have goldfish and have had catfish, and some other cold water fish in the past. we have quite a menagerie with Dogs, Cats, fish, chooks, tadpoles - frogs (natural in our garden) and a rabbit who are all healthy and happy.

Thank you to all of the people who have posted lots of information to help people like us setting up for the first time. We have a large tank with a good filter and have looked at our house to determine the best place for quiet and temperature control. Changed our plan from pebbles to sand, found out we need to check our new aquarium furniture for rough edges and have decided to stick with imitation plants while we learn to care for our new friends. we hope to get them in the next week, We have just bought the sand so still need to clean, clean , clean it and get the water chemistry right and the tank settled before we buy our new additions.

Looking forward to learning lots about a new and fascinating animal.

the 2gsom Gang.:D

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for information and interaction with other enthusiasts....appears that you are well on your way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back