Fighting Axolotls

Soupdragon

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hey guys,

Well I have two Axolotl,one yellow and one albino.
I have had them since last October and they usually get on fine.
When we first got them they were so starved from the pet shop that one of them bit some of the others toes off which got infected and she was fridged and recovered fine.

Over the past week, the yellow one(Steve)keeps attacking the albino(Sally).
Steve follows Sally(who we think is actually a boy)around the tank and keeps nipping her.
I feel really bad for her because she wont fight back and she tries her best to get away from him but he just wont stop.

I built a makeshift divider in the tank using tank ornaments and some plastic which kept them aprt for about a day but Steve figured a way around it and went back to following Sally around.

Any ideas of what i should do?
Should I just leave them together and see what happens or keep trying to keep them separate?

thanks,

C

you'll probably have to separate them... how big is the tank? what ans how often do you feed them?

I would seriously consider buying a legitimate tank divider. I picked one up for about $10 at a local pet store that was made of plastic with holes in it to not disrupt tank flow. It kept my lotls from attacking each other until they grew out of it.

It sounds like a really stressful situation for both involved and sounds like they need a serious time out and possibly more feeding. (?)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back