Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie panicking?

Eastling352

Reaction score
Here's a video

I don't know what's wrong. She seemingly started kinda thrashing around and swimming up against the glass after i fed her. I've only seen this behavior with my other axie when she was floating and swimming down. Also. if you've ever held an earthworm or something and kinda squeezed it and it starts curling together, she does something similar sometimes. It kinda looks like she's trying to get at something on her right side, there's the speculation that she might have some kind of a rash too.

Video description:
This one is having some other problems, she's not floating, but kinda panicking. As you can see, swimming for several minutes against the glass and only stops moving forwards when i put my hand in front of her, kinda blocking her view. And after that she's cool. She swam and sat in the air bubbles for a few minutes.
It also looks like she's got some kind of a rash. Not blood red but her skin is kinda speckled and not regular white as she usually is.

Anyone seen or know about this kind of behaviour?

Jenste

Reaction score
I can't watch the video on my work computer but I am curious about her set up.

Is she like this only after eating?
How large is she, how large is her tank, substrate, temperature, etc.

Are they whole live worms or cut in half/pieces?

Eastling352

Reaction score
I have two in the same tank. The other one is currently being fridged because she is floating. Don't know why.

But their tank is a 120l 75x40x40cm. She is around 20cm and the other is 17cm. Substrate is a fine 0,16mm sand. I suspect this might have something to do with it since both were normal before i changed it ( a month or so ago), but i can't really remember exactly. Temperature is around 17,4-18,5 currently a bit over 18.

I feed them whole worms. And i don't remember, not every time after feeding but i have seen her do this before.

Jenste

Reaction score
How long is the worm compared to her body?

How long would you say her reaction lasts? A few minutes, the better park of the hour or more than an hour?

If just a few minutes, she may just be upset about the feel of a worm moving inside her stomach until her stomach acid and muscles kill it.

Eastling352

Reaction score
Umm... fully stretched i'd say about half her body. Fed her two and the first was a bit smaller. I usually give them one worm each and again the next day so they have some time to digest it. But i didn't now.

That reaction was a few minutes. She's been swimming around for a bit and doing the same but nowhere near as violent.

I think that is probably it. i'll have to wait and see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1