Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need advice on keeping tank cool

Harpii

Reaction score
Hi all we need some advice on keeping our tank cool, for the first week it stayed at 20 degrees but it is now 22.8 degrees and we would like to make it cooler, we dont have our heating on and the tank isn't in any sunlight, my husband thinks it could be our bio filter heating the water, is the anything we can put in the tank to help cool the water? Thank you in advance for any help/advice

carsona246

Reaction score
have you tried putting a fan on the top of the tank? Is there a mesh lid on the tank?

lea

Reaction score
You can freeze 2lt or 3lt bottles and float them in the tank, just be sure you can change them before they completely defrost. This way the tank temp will stay around the same and not stress you axies out. This is time comsuming and takes a lot of space in the freezer. I use to put my canister filter in an esky and filliing the esky up with ice daily(2 times during summer). This work ok but costly and time consuming.
You could save your monies and buy a chiller whivh takes cares of the temp for you, it is a great thing but the cost a lot of money.

dad of axle

Reaction score
Lea has given some good suggestions, I have just gone through a summer in South AUstralia which is a warm climate and I eventually managed to save up for a chiller. It was well worth it as it saves on stress and time consuming switching bottles of frozen water over,

Chiller;s sell for as low as 300 dollars new in Australia and sometimes you can buy one second hand. When I was looking for mine there were a few second hand ones sold on ebay.

Sam77

Reaction score
What size/type of filter do you have? I changed from a small internal filter to an external canister filter and my water temp has decreased by 2 degrees! If you have the filter turned down low it will heat the water even more as it has to work harder. Is there anywhere else in the house you could move the tank to that might be cooler? Though probably a silly idea as I know that you said it was a big tank! I guess you need to sort it now as if the weather where you are is anything like where we are it is freezing here, and we will (hopefully) have warmer weather to come.

Harpii

Reaction score
Hi and thank you so much for all the suggestions, it is a solid lid, pretty hefty one too, i will look into a chiller, hopefully we can get one cheap, but i'll freeze some bottles for now.
We have a LAC external bio filter, quite a big one, but its in an enclosed space but i rearranged things and it has more air flow now to reach it plus we were thinking of putting a fan on it and seeing if it helps, then we will know if its the filter or not. It really is in the only place we can fit it! My house seems to get smaller and smaller, my sister in law calls it a mini zoo!
Its getting quite warm here already, last year in July we reached 38 degrees so i definately need to figure out how to stabalize the water temperature before the weather gets any hotter!

Harpii

Reaction score
Im not sure if its due to weather being cooloer today or my rearragnement but the temperature is slowly going down, it was 23.1 degress, its now 22.9 so not a huge difference but hopefully it will get back down to 20 degress or under :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1