Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help Me Please! New Mummy prolapsed?

Yindy

Reaction score
I have a wild type girl who has just had about 20 eggs, which I know isn't many for an axi, seems to be very ill.
She goes to food and makes little feeble open mouth movements like a goldfish but its like there isnt any suction and she just gives up. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks now. She has a very swollen cloaca that looks like it has something stuck in it.. I've been very gently trying to help her get it out with a turkey bastor but to no avail. She also keeps passing a very gooey substance similar to the eggs goo but with no eggs. She has this today on her fingers and gills and I'm not sure if this is some sort of fungus or just the goo residue.
She has been in the fridge for five days, i took her out for one day to try and feed her and she did the little mouth movements then quickly gave up.
We change her water every day, her gills aren't forward and her tail is relaxed.
Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!!
:confused:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you provide us with a little more information?
First of all a photo of her and her tank would be very helpful, also what do you feed her?

Yindy

Reaction score
Well shes in the fridge at the moment in a 7 L container with nothing but dechlorinated water. Her proper tank is at my mums as ive just moved out. Its 4ft long & has only very large pebbles, no gravel. The parameters are perfect. I've since realised shes not prolapsed.
I'll try and get a photo of her tomorrow, shes back in the fridge now. Before we fridged her she actually regurgitated some food she'd eaten about two days previously - it was whole and covered in slime.. probably just whats usually in their tummy..
Thanks for replying
I'll post back tomorrow if I'm back from work at a reasonable hour

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!