Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding help please?

taythib

Reaction score
Hi all, I posted just a few weeks ago about a Pseudotriton Ruber i found. I gave him a good set up and all, but when i try to feed him, he just doesnt react very much. Hes eaten maybe two small worms ive given him, but it took him a few hours to even acknowledge them. Is there any better way to feed him? i was thinking about buying small crickets for him or something, but i thought they might be a bit too fast for him. Any tips? thanks!

sharrakor

Reaction score
Though worms are the best food for him, you may want to try another food. I'm currently dealing with caudates that don't want to eat worms, so I know the feeling.

Mine are aquatic eastern newts, and they love brine shrimp. You may want to try some other grubs you can find in the area, or possibly crickets as you said. You can always help him out by maiming the cricket, if you can stand it, so it is still alive but moves around more slowly.

One thing I've had low to moderate luck with is (assuming you know a food he likes) taking the worms and covering them in the food of his choice, and trying to trick him into thinking he is eating the good stuff. For me, I let the worms sit in with some frozen bloodworms for a few minutes.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!