Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please! need help asap!

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright, So, on Thursday I left for a few days to spend the weekend with my friends. And i left my mom in charge.. Big mistake.

Came home today to find one of my axolotls dead, One just barely living. The water was filthy.. And So i raced up to get a bowl to put Bubbles in. and I quickly brought her upstairs, put her in clean de-chlorinated water, And put her in the fridge..

Now.. She's like.. On the edge.. of life or death. I need help here I dont know what to do, I'm panicking.

Bubbles is my ONLY leucistic, They're almost IMPOSSIBLE to find here. I really need help! I know its a good sign that i went out and dug up a few worms. and Bubbles ate one and a half no problem.. I dont see any signs of fungus or anything.

But her gills have turned an almost-dead color orangish. Ive only seen this color in the leucistic gills, when my other leucistic Mystery Passed away. Ive got some pics. But any help please? I just dont know what i can do to help..

PS: Threw in a few pics of dot.. Q-Q

-R.I.P Dot <3 Forever in my heart.

Attachments

• FxCam_1335301485132.jpg
    FxCam_1335301485132.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 216
  • FxCam_1335301793735.jpg
    FxCam_1335301793735.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 190
  • DOT!!.jpg
    DOT!!.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG866.jpg
    IMG866.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG870.jpg
    IMG870.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 246

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
oh your poor axies! I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I'm not sure what to do, as I've only had my axie for a short time, just wanted to give you my condolences. I'm not sure I could ever leave on a weekend or on an extended trip, my family wants nothing to do with my animals and my bf would probably do something wrong thinking it was right. X_X

also, how did she do so much damage over the course of 2/3 days? I know axies can go a week during fridging without food, and a few days without food if they have too, but how did the water get so crazy that one of them died in that short of a time frame? Sorry if my questions sound cold, but if you can figure it out, maybe it can be prevented in the future? (and i can avoid it too)?

Zenna

Reaction score
6 days.. I left thursday early morning, and got back late Tuesday ( Today ) I think it was an ammonia spike. because there was alot of poop in the tank, and the water looked terrible. I told my mom when she went in to feed them to use the turkey baster to suck up the poop.. But nope. :(

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright well if no one can offer suggestions, Can someone at least tell me I'm doing the right thing? Or tell me if im doing something wrong? >< I'm really worried.

Chirple

Reaction score
Poor Dot. :(

I'm not sure about the fridge and what you should do - but everything I've read about it says that you can only remove the ammonia and hope for the best (so there isn't anything else you can do, that I've ever read of, that will help).

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright. Well I Clued in that Fridging is just for helping pass stones / fungus and stuff. So I took bubbles out, put her safley on my night stand. she's going to spend a night or two in a tub there, I'm going to do daily 100% water changes. and yeah.. When/If she gets better, I'll put her back in her tank (when its all good again)

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
Im a newbie but I would just like to say im hoping for the best and praying she gets better.. Im so sorry that dot passed.. shame on ur mom for not getting the poops out ;( I hope bubbles gets better asap!! Shes beautiful!!!

LeFarge

Reaction score
you're doing the right thing - the fridge absolutely won't hurt but either way keep her in clean, cool water that you change 100% every day. Try not to move her about too much as you want her calm.

what kind of tank were you keeping them in (size? substrate?)

Zenna

Reaction score
I had them in a 20 gallon tank, Until I could afford a bigger tank and just put all my axies in it. Both of my tanks are Bare-bottom, And Yeah..

Bubbles is starting to move more and she seems like shes getting happier and more social like her old self. So that's a good sign, I think Bubbles is going to make it. <3 I'm Sooooo happy about that!

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright well I believe 100% That Bubbles will be fine. :)

Today she ate 2 worms, I moved her into another container with fresh dechlorinated water, Same temperature.

She's re-gaining her nice Pink/Red Color in her gills and is MUCH more social and active :) At the moment she is stalking the airstone that I put in her container hehe. It dosnt move but she's just sitting infront of it waiting for it to move :p

I'm VERY happy. And yeah. :) Just thought it'd be nice to inform you all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1