Illness/Sickness: T-Rex the axolotl having broken toe troubles?

Felfreckles

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello! I'm new to the site today, but may I say it has been very helpful so far! My son was terrified of all animals, determined to help him I sent him into the pet store and said "pick anything" eek. Probably not so wise. He told me the goldfish might try to eat him, and the mice would attack. Then he saw an axolotl, and begged me for one. I was told they were easy to care for (they lied!) after a bit of research and the pet store promising temperature wouldn't be an issue, we bought "T-Rex" home. within weeks T-Rex got sick, with temps above 24* it's no wonder. So I hit the net and found a resun chiller in the uk on sale for $140, best price I've seen, so we bought it. All in all including tank, stand, chiller and extras we've spent about $650! And T-Rex himself was only $25! I could have bought a Labrador for that, but oh well, my son loves T-Rex. So he was in the fridge, recovering from a fungus for about 12 days. I changed the water daily with conditioned water till the chiller arrived, once the tank was ready, we put him back in. During his last days in the fridge, I noticed many of his toes were bent the wrong way. I was concerned, but other than that he was the healthiest I'd seen him. Once he was in the tank he is now happily eating (axolotl pellets) everyday and seems happy. But as you can see from the picks there is something seriously wrong with his toes. Once bent, the now seem to be shriveling up? Or is that a fungus? I'd really rather not take him back out of that tank for any reason, he's finally growing his "feathers" back along his gills and eating again. But he won't walk on his back legs anymore! Sorry it's so long, but I plan on being a regular now, so that's his full story!

sorry couldn't work out how to attach photos from my phone! two taken yesterday, two today *** attached. :happy: hope someone out there can help

Attachments

• Yesterday (1).jpg
    Yesterday (1).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 667
  • Yesterday (2).jpg
    Yesterday (2).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 879
  • Today (1).jpg
    Today (1).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 742
  • Today (2).jpg
    Today (2).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 704
  • Today (3).jpg
    Today (3).jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 972
Very worried now as more toes have disappeared with either a fungus or skin slowing off, need to know if the toes are falling off because they were broken and trying to regenerate or if its a fungus gradually eating away at his leg. his containment in the fridge is what caused his toes to bend the wrong way, possibly he was thrashing around in there. or could it have been the net? Either way he really is looking the best in weeks (except for the feet), gills growing long again etc. Just don't know how serious/what to do. please help if you can as its my five year old's first pet and we love him so! :confused:

Attachments

• 27-4 (1).jpg
    27-4 (1).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13,319
  • 27-4 (2).jpg
    27-4 (2).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 10,267
So turns out that it was being in the fridge that caused it! Bacteria builds up on the bottom of plastic containers causing sores on his feet, then the skin sloughed off. Toes have since re-grown and all is good. When he was in the fridge recovering from a fungus, I was changing the water daily but not actually cleaning the container, lesson learnt.

Glad you found a solution to your problem! Hope T-Rex is happy and healthy :3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back