Gravid Newts

psychotic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have 4 red spotted newts. 2 males and 2 females. I am worried about one of the females. I'm curious how long a newt can stay gravid. Because its going on two months for this girl and I'm worried she might have bloat. However she eats and swims around just like she did befor getting fat.

My other female was gravid for almost a month. I changed the plants in the tank and the next day she was no longer huge and looked a little saggy in the hip area. I do not see eggs so I haveno idea if she laid or o absorbed the eggs. But this other girl has done neither!

So to sum it up. How long can red spotted newts stay gravid?

My red spotted newt was gravid for 3-4 months I believe. She got HUGE.

Thanks for telling me. I was so worried that she might have developed bloat. I'll still keep an eye on her. She is the only newt that will eat if I just put the food in front of her. The others will only take food from feeding tongs. I have to move it around in front of their nose. It's a little tiring lol.

Notos are such curious newts. Mine will follow my finger along the side of the tank. They are fun to watch. I sometimes just sit there and watch them. They have such personality. Probably my favorite species of any animal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back