Funny positions

larn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 of my axolotls (males) like to get into strange positions, they like to stand upright on the filter agasint the glass or in the bamboo, they sometimes use their tails to balance themselves

do all axolotls do this? do you find them in funny positions?

Yeah mine also do that, i can't tell for others, but i guess its quite normal. They stand agains the wall of the tank

Does it look like their backs are arched and their heads are facing upwards? This is a position that axolotls prefer to defecate in. If they spend a long period of time in this position they may be constipated. If so, first check to make sure that the substrate of your tank is appropriate (sand, large stones, or bare bottom).

I just tried to find a picture of the pooping position for 15 minutes to no avail! If it sounds similar let me know.

Last edited:
Sometimes mine likes to hang out vertically or semi-vertical like that.

I'm always seeing him in hilarious scenarios or positions. My bf and I also enjoy imitating his positions with our own bodies and then cracking up into tears over it...
Sometimes when he hangs out in the plants his arms will be behind him as if hes flying... it's so funny and awkward.
And when I release him from his feeding container a lot of times instead of swimming down he will just levitate like a hovercraft, it's too cute!

Yeah I always see my axolotls in funny positions, one of them sometimes likes tp sit on his face with the rest of his body on top of his hidey hole. Sometimes I see one of them balancing on one foot and the other leg propped on something like a ballerina :p
Its cute!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back