Growths...what is it?

kate28

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Kate28
Does anyone know what this is? Sometimes bits fall off the growth aswell. I want to know if its just like a wart and ok to be left or if its some type of parasite? I have done indian almond leaf treatments in the past but it hasnt helped. The last owners gave me some melachite and before I found out it is toxic to them I did a treatment and it had no impact on the growth either.

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/59/215071459_full.jpg

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/59/215071359_full.jpg

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/54/215071254_full.jpg
215071459_full.jpg

That's pretty disgusting. I have no idea what it is, though it looks like it may be parasitic, maybe something close to anchorworms given the appearance of it. But I think you should try asking around in chat, as a lot of the people who would possibly know about this, or at least what to do about it, may have missed this thread. A lot of others on here may suggest vet attention, though I know that probably isn't a possibility for a lot of people on here, and a lot of solutions are more DIY in amphibians anyway. I wouldn't trust the vets around here with my axolotls.

Definitely try asking around, and maybe call around to vet offices and ask for a general opinion. Some places will give you advice without making you come in for it, but this looks like something that needs to be seen in order to give advice. Maybe google some fish parasite types. The caudata culture article has a list of possible illnesses and what to do about them. In this case, I would look up the parasites on that list.
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1

If you look at this site: Photos of Sick Axolotls
It does not seem to be anchorworm from that picture. The odd "worm-like" shape your growths have taken look like a parasite, but I'm just not sure what kind. That's all the help I can give, hopefully someone else will answer you too.

Thanks for answering and that link. I have looked at pics of anchorworm before and i cant see any y shaped bits on the axie at all. I do think this thing has spread though as there are little single loops on its back aswell.

I dont think any vets in my city or anywhere nearby deal with aquatics..maybe the aquatic pet shop might know.

What kind of DIY treatments can I try that wont effect the axie badly if its actually something else?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back