Are these eggs?

iChris

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Chris
I've never bred axies before, and up until now I swear that both my lotls were of the same gender.

I've seen spermatophores before, but now I think I've got eggs too. one of the lotls, my melanoid was immature when I got it a few months back and now I've got about 20 of these (well about 20 that I can find anyway) attached to some airline. I can't find anymore as I have a fair few silk plants in the tank to provide cover and I don't really want to stir up the tank.

the only thing that I can think of that provoked this was that I dropped the temperature of the chiller a couple of degrees to 17 (Celsius) to slow them down abit as I'm going away for 4 days.

could this have a effect on my axies deciding to lay? I don't feel that I'm a advanced enough keeper to raise from eggs yet, so if I get another spawn I'll have to get another tank to separate them.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 7,869
hi chris
do you want to raise them i could possibly be intrested in a few

Yep eggs laid by your albino :happy:

Mel

Yeah that's what I thought. The father is a melanoid axie.

I think she's still spawning as she is moving about the tank allover the plants.

I think I'll let things take their course and I'll leave the eggs in the tank with the adults as I'm off to Sydney tomorrow until Thursday.

When I get back I'll be separating them and will get another tank as giving one away is out of the question.

ok not a prob

well, she's still spawning, I just watched her squeeze out a bunch of eggs onto some of the silk plants just now. she's calmed down somewhat.

It's really fascinating to watch, i've never seen them spawn before and as a keeper, I know I'm doing it right when they're happy enough to start reproducing.

a quick update.

I got back from sydney last night to a tank chokers with eggs, I estimate well over 100.

the eggs have started to change, the white bit has turned into a sort of jellybean shape, and I assume the ones that haven't changed at all are infertile.

I've decided I'll try to raise a few, maybe 10-15, I'm going to have to move the eggs from the tank, seeing as they've mostly been laid on the fake plants, I'll just remove one of them and put it into another tank and go from there.

I always keep a few sponge filters going in my tropical tank for this reason so I have a filter ready to drop in too. I'll have to buy a another tank to do this, so I'm thinking I'll maybe get a 50L tank to hatch them in, and I'll then separate them into smaller containers after hatching.

I'll probably cull the rest of the eggs or see if the local pet shop will take them.

here is a picture of the tank I took when I got home.

if I decide to cull, whats the best way of doing this? obviously they're just eggs right now so I'm not keen on pouring them down the sink.

Attachments

• fr_455.jpg
    fr_455.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 340
for those wondering, here is a picture of the eggs I kept. I've got them in a tub that's airated by a bubble strip. I'm keeping the tub in the spare room, so it's always dark and cool I've been replacing about half of the tub's water daily with water from my axie tank. I expect they will begin to hatch in about 10 days as they where laid a week ago from today.

I bought a new 55L (about 10 gallons) tank to use to raise the young after hatching. I understand that I will loose some after they hatch, but as I planned, I only think I'll raise a few before I re home them. after they hatch, I'll be culling the de-formed ones (as I know some probably will be de-formed) and after they get off the BBS it'll basically be survival of the fittest in the other tank. it sounds harsh, but I don't plan on being up to my ears in axolotls. I may even get some more tubs and separate 5 or so and keep them individually until they are bigger and I can put them back together and feed them up and hope they won't eat each other.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 380
Hi Chris,
My new Axolotl's laid eggs a few days ago.. so I'm a few weeks behind you in the baby rearing phases.... How are your going? Did they all hatch? What are you feeding them? Any chance of seeing some new pics?

I'm really excited about seeing my eggs change and hatch and grow into little Axies... So it would be great to hear an update from you on how yours are going :)

a quick update.

I got back from sydney last night to a tank chokers with eggs, I estimate well over 100.

the eggs have started to change, the white bit has turned into a sort of jellybean shape, and I assume the ones that haven't changed at all are infertile.

I've decided I'll try to raise a few, maybe 10-15, I'm going to have to move the eggs from the tank, seeing as they've mostly been laid on the fake plants, I'll just remove one of them and put it into another tank and go from there.

I always keep a few sponge filters going in my tropical tank for this reason so I have a filter ready to drop in too. I'll have to buy a another tank to do this, so I'm thinking I'll maybe get a 50L tank to hatch them in, and I'll then separate them into smaller containers after hatching.

I'll probably cull the rest of the eggs or see if the local pet shop will take them.

here is a picture of the tank I took when I got home.

if I decide to cull, whats the best way of doing this? obviously they're just eggs right now so I'm not keen on pouring them down the sink.

the eggs i dont take out i leave in there and the adults eat them, ive even had them eating them as my female is laying. apparently they are very nutrition for them. i dont know what other people do. i think that is a humane way to do it. i just make sure i take out the eggs that start to go white as they can cause fungus, im currently raising 3 week old hatchlings.i hope i have helped some.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back