Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotls

Enemy Of One

Reaction score
Yesterday I got 4 axolotls, I got this many because it's the first time I've seen them for sale in years. They're all in a cycled, established 40 gallon breeder (they'll get my 125 gallon once my puffer out grows it), I had to take the filter from my 20 gallon because the filter I originally had was for a 70 gallon and the current may have been too strong. I also had to switch out the sand because I guess there was iron in it.

Anyway they seem to be doing fine, I fed them some bloodworms a little while ago, they're all eating. I'm just wondering how often I should feed them. I know it depends on the temperature so the water is warmer than I expected, I did take some fish bags and freeze some water in them to keep the water cool. I've got the temperature at about 68F. I'll keep doing this until I get my AC in. So how often should I be feeding them? I give my small tropical fish a mixture of foods that I'd like to give them as well, which is large plankton, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, mosquito larvae and brine shrimp. But then I read that marine foods shouldn't be fed, so I'm unclear about that. Anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 191

Enemy Of One

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks. I've already read those. Neither of them say how often to feed a juvenile, can no one give me a straight answer?
No one knows how often they fed their juvenile axolotl when they first got it?

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
I'm still unsure if i'm feeding enough, but i fed mine (newly mature 5 incher) until she/he started spitting them out or ignoring them. Then i remembered that number and cut it down by a bit and go from there. Seems to be working for me. I up the number slightly from time to time as she/he is voracious and still has quite a bit of growing to do (i hope).

The number I'm referring to is pieces of worm, or in some cases i feed dubia nymphs because i have lots of those, and i count those. I try and chop up my worm pieces to be of similar sizes every feeding so i can keep track.

I prefer to feed every day if i can, but since mines older, i dont feel too bad if i go a day or two between feedings. I'd imagine you would have to feed more often with a younger one.

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
I have juvies and I offer then food twice a day morning and night but there are times that they will eat three times per day.. I just go with whenever they stop eating they are full so depending on the size id offer three times per day atleast two.. Ive had my juvies about two weeks now and they always feed atleast two times per day..!!! They are hungry lil suckers and they eat mainly bloodworms.. I have anywhere from 3 -6 in juvies I hope this helps!!

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks. I've already read those. Neither of them say how often to feed a juvenile, can no one give me a straight answer?
No one knows how often they fed their juvenile axolotl when they first got it?
Your question was general as what to feed axolotls and that temperature impacts frequency. Juveniles should be fed at least daily; as adults 2-3 times per week...again depending on temps, etc. There is a 'Search' function on the forum that will yield past discussions on the topic.

michel3171

Reaction score
I feed my 5cm axies 3 times a day food. When they don't eat it all, I wait untill they ate it, and the next feeding time I put some more in. [10am + 5pm + 11pm]:D

Enemy Of One

Reaction score
Thank you. Sorry for my impatience, I had asked the question in a different section as well and no one could give me a straight answer which is why I started to get annoyed.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. Sorry for my impatience, I had asked the question in a different section as well and no one could give me a straight answer which is why I started to get annoyed.
Please keep in mind that this is a forum. Responses depend on who is on the forum at any given time, what experience they have had or lack thereof, or how comfortable they may be in posting.....and a well-framed, specific question usually produces a 'straighter answer'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1