Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hatchling Eats Sand

virago

Reaction score
I can see some white sand in their bellies. Hope they pass it through digestion. I start them on brine shrimp tomorrow. Can you tell me if sand is a problem for hatchlings?

Mycenaean

Reaction score
It should pass through fine. I don't like having my hatchlings in sand because brine shrimp are small and would just litter the bottom and alter the pH and salinity. It's much easier to have a bare bottom tank, at least until you can move them on to bloodworms.

virago

Reaction score
Do you think I should move them into tubs and then remove the white sand and then put them back? I thought about doing this but worried about the stress.

Mycenaean

Reaction score
Do you think I should move them into tubs and then remove the white sand and then put them back? I thought about doing this but worried about the stress.

I personally would, but that's just my preference. You could use a container to scoop them up. If they are small enough you can use a straw (hold the straw top, dip in water near axolotl from behind release top of straw to sunction and then hold the top and transfer). If you're quick they'll be back to lounging stress-free in no time!

Jenste

Reaction score
For axoltols under 4-6 inches, it is recommended to keep them in bare tanks because they are little hoovers and will suck up anything around them.

michel3171

Reaction score
If youre Axolotls are still small, just use little big stones. If you make 2-3 islands, you can feed them between the islands, and the islands give nice decoration. This is how I made my tank. On the islands I placed some plants. I blocked my filter, so that it only spits water out into the air, so that there is not too much movement in the water.

virago

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I moved them into a tub and fed them brine shrimp. I can see them moving the sand through and expelling it. I'm cleaning their tank of the sand and restarting it. I use a bubble disc secured with a suction cup. The over the side filter has cheesecloth around intake holes and fake plants to disrupt water flow. It will be bare glass until they are a bit older/bigger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!