Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Silicone safe for use?

wian

Reaction score
Hi

Would like to find out if V60 non acidic nuetral cure water porable silicone is safe to use for building a aquarium?:confused:

wian

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this silicone is safe or not? So afraid that I might be piosoning my Axies??????

michel3171

Reaction score
I think that it is safe, at least when it is dry, but you should check if there stands NON TOXIC on the silicone. Or you should ask the store you bought it in, maybe they can clear things up.

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
I would rather be safe than sorry.. dont use it or ask the store like michel3171 says.. I would old use silicone i bought from a aquarium supply store.. if it doubt dont use it

michel3171

Reaction score
I would rather be safe than sorry.. dont use it or ask the store like michel3171 says.. I would old use silicone i bought from a aquarium supply store.. if it doubt dont use it

I have to agree with axolotl lvr, better safe than sorry. But asking the store is a good idea tough! I am not saying that you have to thrust what they say, or not thrust it, but it is as good idea anyways. But when silicone is dry, it won't hurt nobody. BUT make sure that it is dry.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about Australia, but here in the U.S.A., there are silicone products that are labeled as safe for use with aquariums. I have found these products in hardware stores, big box stores and pet supply stores.

tusken raider

Reaction score
I've been researching into this as i am going to make some DIY caves and want to glue substrate to PVC pipe for my community tank not my axo tank

I've read that he silicone should be

Type 1 Glass and window
100% silicone
contain no antifungal or antibacterial properties
read the label and some products say safe or unsafe for use on aquariums

also in Australia i know Bunnings sells selley glass silicone which can be used for aquariums, is kinda small tube so not sure if ill use that

Kylillilly

Reaction score
I simply cannot believe my stupidity!
It is so important to read the labels carefully!

To learn the hard way, I will be re-stripping and re-sealing my tank because I blindly trusted the hardware store service attendant's recommendation instead of taking the fraction of time to read the label on the back to check if it really WAS safe for aquariums.

On the (dimly lit) bright side, it was my first and rather messy caulking project and I can write this off as practice. {:[

#(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)# #(._.)#

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1