What are the symptoms of internal parasites?

theblondie616

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hi everyone. My guy hasn't been able to keep his food down for the past three weeks (ish). He's been on pellets for a fair wile now but all of a Sudan he's chucking them up. I fed him about 15 worms from my garden thinking it was safe because I don't use any chemicals. This was about 6 weeks ago. He's not showing any signs of stress, gills fine, tail straight extra. He's not lost any weight as far as I can tell but he won't eat as much as he has in the past and what he dose eat comes back up. I'm trying him on clean store bought worms at the moment see how that plays out.
So my question is, in my stupidity have I given my axolotl internal parasites?
Oh and the water conditions are fine.
Please help!

Before the earthworms from your garden, what kind of worms what he eating?? When I got my big boy leucistic he did this as well for a few days... Until, I realized I was feeding him the wrong type of worms.. I had gotten "red wigglers" from a pet store out here.. I didnt know there was differenet types of worms...
I changed my axie to "earthworms" much bigger and plumper of a worm...The puking stopped and hes happy now..

First, whatever u used before ur garden worms I would switch back to that...
Sometimes there is a difference in the earthworms, even though we cannot see it, they can and just like humans they wont like the taste or smell.. I would stop feeding him the worms from your garden and try earthworms from a store first ;)

Well that's the thing. He was on pellets before the garden worms and then agen after. He's never had a problem with them before

So he first started puking up the pellets and the earthworms then the pellets again?? Have u tried a different kind of worm or brand of pellet?

how much are you feeding in one go? My axie sometimes eats too much and when I first got her i was told they stop eating when full. However, she pigged out and was sick afterwards. I feed her less now and have never again had the puking problem.

First he was on pellets then garden worms then on pellets agen. It's the second lot of pellets he can't keep down. I'm trying him on large store bought worms now. That are bloody huge by the way.

How big is your axolotl?

If the worms are big, then you can cut them smaller. If you over feed your axolotl it could regurgitate the food .

I do chop them up. I think I'll let him go hungry for a fue days

Well its been a fue days. Just tried him on some chopped up worm, he didn't go for it at all. Also I nudged him a fue times and it took him a wile to dart. I'm going to leave the worm bits in the tank overnight see if he gets hungry. Should I be getting worried? Coz I am

Your axolotl is probably stuffed and too full to eat. When they have eaten too much they puke. And you said you fed him 15 worms or something of that nature?!

Just leave the lotl be for at least 5 days. They do not need to eat so much. Adult axolotls should be fed 1 to 2 times a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back