Snails!

Harpii

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First we find we have copepods, and some of those white hair like worms and now we have found two tiny black -ish snails! Do i need to get them out? and will they harm our axies?

They should be fine, your axolotl will probably eventually find them and eat them.
If you look towards the top of the page, there is a dark green line, with a search button. If you click that and enter the key word, you'll see plenty of posts regarding snails :D

HI and thank you I did the search and found a few but some said they are fine others said to remove them so I thought fresh opinions would be best, I've removed the one I could see as they were at the top of the tank. I'm guessing we got them from the plants, our tank is turning into a pond!

I gave up on removing my snails. I have planaria, threadworms, copepods and white cloud minnow fish fry all over my axolotl tank. Tasty self-sustaining ecosystem snacks. Just add worms every other day.

I would not let my Axolotls eat snails, I have seen pictures of Axolotls with a snail in their mouth. Most of them sustained serious injury or even worse... I don't want my Axolotl to have that. ;)

I found the same a few weeks ago (there's a post here somewhere!) I dithered, left it, then took it out, suddenly I found more and more, and when I emptied the tank and moved Darwin to her new tank I found another 10! Thankfully I haven't found any on the new tank. They ravaged my plant!

i found my very first snail as well last week.
probably came with the live plants i got at the aquarum store.
they are a good water quality indicator, and from what i read my axies will eat them.
so its good for the tank, and it tingles the axies to do something other then floating around.

i guess you have to find a balance. dont let them overtake your tank, but keep some in.
a live tank looks more appealing to the eye. :happy:

i found my very first snail as well last week.
probably came with the live plants i got at the aquarum store.
they are a good water quality indicator, and from what i read my axies will eat them.
so its good for the tank, and it tingles the axies to do something other then floating around.

i guess you have to find a balance. dont let them overtake your tank, but keep some in.
a live tank looks more appealing to the eye. :happy:

I have seen Axies eat them, as I mentioned earlier in another post, the Axies that I saw, ate them, but were unable to swallow/spit them out. They sustained serious injury!!!! :(

Please don't let this happen to your Axies, maybe if the snails are VERY small, your Axies can eat them. But for that, I have to see your Axies AND the snails.

Michel

Michel, small snails will be fine. It is the bigger snails that you need to watch out for. Harpi has tiny snails.
Every now and then I get a snail invasion, the axolotl have a fantastic time picking them off the glass :D

They were very tiny snail, slightly bigger than my axies eyes! We've removed about 5 so far...not sure if theres anymore, one was slighlty bigger than the rest but we keep an eye on them, if we find a big one then obviously we'll remove it immediately, thank you for all the adivse and help, we appreciate it :)

i dont have my axies yet.. wont be to hard to keep my eyes on the snails.. its the only live thing in my tank :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back