Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help sexing now that toes have turned grey

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
First of all, YAY! Aarna's Toes have turned gray! It must have been over the past few days while I have been fighting a horrible cold. I took her out to do a large water change and lo and behold...gray toes! I know you cant really tell in the pics, its pretty hard to see in person as well, but they are definitely grey.

I was starting to think she could be a he, but now i'm not so sure. I was first told by a breeder friend that it was a girl, but others told me we wouldnt really be able to tell until he/she became mature aka gray toes.

Also, I'm dumb sometimes. I had got an inaccurate measurement at first, and thought she/he was only 3-4 inches...then the other day i lined up the ruler and left it on the outside of the tank, and she so helpfully eventually lined up on it. She/he is about 5 inches, maybe a titch over 5. Which probably makes more sense for a 9 month old axie :p

Here are some, um, hind end pics for your enjoyment. :)
Thanks in advance!

IMG_2695.jpg

Man I cant believe how awesome her/his tail is!!
IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

Mycenaean

Reaction score
That looks similar to what my golden albino looked like. She had a little bump behind the hind legs, so looking for swelling behind the legs isn't always accurate. It may help to add a photo of her head from above (so we can see the width).

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
Im so super excited for you!!! She is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! Im hinting toward a girl.. That is just my opinion but I am a newbie so we will see.. CONGRATS on sexual maturity for ur beautiful axie!!

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
Hmmm ok, I'll see if I can get a bird's eye pic.

*edit*
Ok, heres a couple. Tell me if I need to feed him/her more. I think i'm feeding enough but I'm always worried I'm doing something wrong o_O
IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

SapphireTigress

Reaction score

She has won the heart of just about everyone who visits, whether they like herps or hate them. My bf's slightly younger sister, who tells me constantly (and very vocally, and every time she visits) how ugly and disgusting my reptiles are, loves to look at Aarna and tell me what a cute little pokemon she is. X_X

Even my bf's mom, who really dislikes reptiles (although is SO much more polite about it than her daughter is!) thinks she is cute!

My bf likes to show pics of her to his co-workers too, they all fawn over her, its better than having a puppy! She'll stay cute forever!

Mycenaean

Reaction score
I'm basing my judgment off this article: Axolotls - Biology

Male:
male_cloaca2.jpg

Female:
female_cloaca.jpg

It seems that you have a female :) Congrats!

Remember to keep an eye out! My male adult took quite a while for the swelling to become obvious, you can become more sure with time.

Chirple

Reaction score
If the toes have only turned colour in the past few days, I would wait a few months before being too sure. :)

I have a boy and it was about 3-4 months after the toes really turned black (they had always been slightly grey, but this was suddenly much more) that he showed a swollen cloaca.

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses and compliments!
I suppose I will assume shes female then, until I am proven wrong. I will keep an eye out in the future to see if there is a sudden...increase in...endowment :p

Smdee

Reaction score
Gorgeous! Looks like a female right now, but it might be a little too early to tell. In any case she's beautiful!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!