Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I dont know what is wrong with my Axolotl?

Del Lago

Reaction score
I just got an axolotl about one week ago. For the first four days he acted fine, but one night I was not home and the filter turned off, and I was not able to fix it until I got home about 17 hours later. Ever since that night he hasnt been exploring the tank like he usually does, and spends an unusual amount of time near the surface of the tank on top of some floating plants (he NEVER did this before). He also isnt sinking to the bottom all the way... when he trys to walk across the bottom of the tank his hind legs float up in the air. Besides this he is eating, and doesnt seem to display any of the common signs of stress. I am going to clean the tank tonight.

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
I don't think the filter being off for that amount of time would cause the problem. Do you have gravel in your tank as if they swallow it it can cause them to float. If this is the case you need to put your axolotl in the fridge until he passes the gravel. There will be lots of posts on here on how to do this.

lea

Reaction score
Axies are lazy little critters so the fact that he isnt doing much is normal. The back end tends to float when they need to poop....so watch out. The filter being off for that short time shouldnt affect your tank much at all, as long as you do regular water changes I think you should be fine(Im sure some people on here dont even have a filter). Check your water parameters if your worried, then do a water change.
They do like to give us humans heart attacks from time to time tho

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!