Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First Tank and Axolotls

Goobs

Reaction score
Hi

Here are some pics of my tank and first 2 axolotls. Hoping to get a wild type to go with them. Haven't decided on names yet.

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpg
    IMG_4205.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4211.jpg
    IMG_4211.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_4214.jpg
    IMG_4214.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 388

Goobs

Reaction score
Its riccia fluitans. The idea is that it blocks some of the light getting through but not so much you cn't see the axxies.

Goobs

Reaction score
Thank you!

Wood?? If you mean whats on the bottom of the tank its 2 pieces of slate tile with silicone around the edges and in the gap between them.

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
Your take looks awesome!!! I love the set up!! Its great looking!!! How many gallons is it?

Goobs

Reaction score
Thanks. Its about a 160L tank which is around 45 gallons. Its not quite full though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1