Question: Is this a good set up for Axolotls?

Satnav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a total newbie to all things Axoxlotl and am aiming on getting a tank in a couple of weeks so am aiming to get a few juvenile Axolotls once my tank has matured, here is the set up i am getting:

• Juwel Vision 260 Bow fronted tank, the pump, filters and heater come with the tank and sit inside the tank.
  • Juwel Tree & Rock decorations on the back and probably some Juwel Rock to give some platforms.
  • Also some intank decorations that they can hide in, what do other people use?
Has anyone every used a Vision 260 for Axolotls and also am wondering if the filter/pump is ok in regards the water current in the tank as i have read that Axolotls get stressed if the water current is too stong.

Also what are peoples feelings about Fine Aquarium sand on the bottom of the tank to stop them ingesting large gravel & stones?

Hi , I know that Bow fronted tanks are kinda of high in dimension, Axolotls need more of a tank that is long VS high vertically. I myself would not go with a bow fronted tank at all. Also, Juveniles should not be housed together because they tend to have cannibalistic traits and will nip on the gills, feet and tail of their tank mate until the reach adulthood Rock decorations are OK but they rocks themselves must be large. No gravel or pebblestones.. Good substrate for axolotls are sand that does not a calici in it.. Like play sand rinsed off very well in good. As far as the filter goes in general as long as there is not a strong current from the water ( u can improvise to make less current) the filter should be good..

The bow fronted tank to me does not sound like a good setup because you will never need a heater for axolotls. their tank should never get about 72 degrees as they are cold water amphibians.

For tank decorations anything that is not sharp where the axie can bump into and hurt themseleves. alot of people use plastic flowers or plants, caves and such.. Fine aquarium sand is good. or a bare bottom tank..
sounds like ur heart is in the right direction. Im sure you will gets lots of great ideas and tips off of here..
Congrats on your choice to own axolotls they are great pets and are addicting to own.. (i want to own every color ) ;)

Hi , I know that Bow fronted tanks are kinda of high in dimension, Axolotls need more of a tank that is long VS high vertically. I myself would not go with a bow fronted tank at all. Also, Juveniles should not be housed together because they tend to have cannibalistic traits and will nip on the gills, feet and tail of their tank mate until the reach adulthood Rock decorations are OK but they rocks themselves must be large. No gravel or pebblestones.. Good substrate for axolotls are sand that does not a calici in it.. Like play sand rinsed off very well in good. As far as the filter goes in general as long as there is not a strong current from the water ( u can improvise to make less current) the filter should be good..

The bow fronted tank to me does not sound like a good setup because you will never need a heater for axolotls. their tank should never get about 72 degrees as they are cold water amphibians.

For tank decorations anything that is not sharp where the axie can bump into and hurt themseleves. alot of people use plastic flowers or plants, caves and such.. Fine aquarium sand is good. or a bare bottom tank..
sounds like ur heart is in the right direction. Im sure you will gets lots of great ideas and tips off of here..
Congrats on your choice to own axolotls they are great pets and are addicting to own.. (i want to own every color ) ;)
Thanks Axolotl Lvr, i will take on board what you have written, i'm getting excited as the time gets nearer to me owning my own little Axie

Your welcome Im sure others will chime in as well ;) Do u know what kind of axolotls you want? How many are u looking to get? they are very addicting.. and sooo cute!! ;)

I'm not sure what kind, i like the look of them all, is there a colour that is better for a newbie? i i aiming for 2 at the start then gradually adding a few more as the others settle in.

I myself havent noticed a difference in color with personality.. I think they type of axolotl u get will just depend on your preferance in color ;) I myself love the looks of white albino gfp those are my fave then golden albinos then leucistic then anything else gfp lol.. I love the copper axolotls but they are rather pricy here in the us.. ;)

Hi Satnav,
Tank looks good to me, plenty of hides in there and some silk plants for hiding will be good for two juvies. As Axolotl lvr says they can be a little snappy when they're young so you need to keep them well fed and provide lots of hides and decor. You certainly won't need the heater but you can just take that out. I use black, natural slate tiles on the bottom of my tanks as I find it easier to keep clean but lots of people use sand. As for the filter, it may be a little strong, but there are options (adding a spray bar, directing it against the side of the tank and placing plants directly in the flow to break it up.) Hope that helps :)

I have a juwel vision 260 for my fancy goldfish and and have often thought about using it for some of my axies. Its true that the length of a tank is more important for axies but at 4 foot you could more than comfortably house a few in these and even add platforms to utilise the height. The bioflow filter is rather strong but the output nozzle can be angled and sits very near the top, if you aim it up to the water surface in a corner you should find theres only a current created in a little part- I couldn't see this being a problem but as melr70 suggests you could add a spraybar.As for the heater, simples lol - just take it out!
Axy colour is a matter of taste, I wouldn't say there are any "beginner" colours - just go for the healthiest looking guys you can :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back