Chunk/flap missing from axolotls tail

Smdee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Staci
While cleaning my axolotl's tank today, I noticed that she had a good sized chunk missing from her tail. The flap is still there as well and there is a little blood, but not much. I am not sure what happened, though my suspicions are that she got cut on her plant.

I know they can regenerate which is just amazing to me (that's why we study them in biology) but I'm worried none the less. Besides watching for any fungal/other infections, is there anything else I can do? Anything to help the healing process/minimize risk of infection? I've just cleaned her tank and refilled it with cool water. I'm worried about her... she ate a worm tonight and she doesn't seem overly stressed, though a little bit more anxious.

I just lost a bunch of my axolotl larva today so I'm kind of upset about that. I would be devastated if anything happens to Rosie...:(

DSC00101.JPG

Kind of a bad picture, but you can see the slice on her tail pretty clearly. Pardon the lighting. My roommates betta shares a table with Rosie and she just got a lighted tank for him XD

Remove any kind of sharp object, especially plastic plants and rough stone. Silk plants are moree natural and don't pose a risk. As far as healing, amphibians, and axolotls especially are reknown for their ability to regenerate, she should be fine. I'm no axie expert, but you may want to move her into the fridge for the healing process.

Thanks! I will remove her plant for sure as that's the only thing I can think of that would have caused this (she might be a little ticked as she likes it but it's for her own good lol). I will think about fridging her as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back