My eggs hatched! feeding/color question

emily74

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily74
Ok so I got 10 eggs and the hatching began a few days ago. So far 5 have hatched, it's been 2 days since the last one hatched so I'm wondering if the remaining will hatch, one is looking foggy and the other 4 eggs still look clear and okay. I'm guessing the one egg that is beginning to look foggy is probably not viable now. How do I know when it's time to toss them?

I got my first batch of bbs to hatch yesterday (I didn't think it was working, I'm so glad it did!) The axies were snapping at them here and there, but I kind of expected a more frenzied type feeding I guess. Is it normal for them to just kind of eat leisurely? Lol not sure how else to describe it. I just want to make sure they are eating normally.

And my only other question is can you tell the colors when they are just a few days hatched? The mom was wild type and the dad was leucistic. 3 of them are dark and you can see spots on them so I'm assuming they will be wildtypes. The other 2 that hatched look like you can see some spotting from certain angles on them but for the most part they are pretty clear looking. Like you can see their insides and their gills are harder to see, but they have dark eyes. I'm hoping so much they will be leucistic, I just love those little pink monsters! But wildtypes are good too lol :wacko: I would just be so excited to have both! I took pictures but they weren't any good.

You can wait or do what I did and open the eggs yourself. I just used a pair of blue tweezers like you use in most bio classes and tore the membrane open. I would do it as a last resort though. I did this to about 10 of my 30 eggs and lost none of the larvae. The foggy one if it is moving inside I would open it. It may have a touch of fungus on the outside of it that can spread to the others.

They do not chase the bbs as very young larvae, they sit and gulp them in as they swim in front of their face. Feeding in a small container is best since it brings the bbs in closer to the larvae.

The darker ones sound like wilds and the more see troughs sound like a leusistic but until they are bigger with legs and bigger bodies you can't tell what their true color will be. This is why many sellers do not sell eggs or larvae but rather wait till the juvies are 3-4 inches so they can tell what colors they have.

Good luck.

Thanks so much!! Yes that is what they were doing just gulping them if they were right in front of them. That makes me feel a little better. I raised tadpoles once but they ate pellets so the live food makes me nervous that I'm going to kill them. Right now they're in a medium square ziplock tupperware container. The bbs seem to really dirty the water just after one feeding, if I do total water changes is that too stressful on the babies? Thank you for the advice on the other eggs too!

I have little hatchlings. Im a newbie too but, what i do is prepare the bbs keep in in there for about 3 hrs then i suck all the babies up with a turkey baster into clean water, dump out the bbs in the other container and then put the babies in fresh water in the original container. after three hrs their bellys get all big fat and orange haha.. if you dont clean out the water it can kill ur hatchlings so yes clean it after every feeding.. dont keep bbs in there to long cuz they will die and it stinks soooo bad.. How do u get ur babies out of the container for a water change?

Thanks! Well so far I was just scooping them up with a little baby formula scooper to catch them. I filled a jug so that there would always be water ready for water changes that is at the right temperature and dechlorinated.

Okay so I opened the remaining eggs, two - including the cloudy one - were not alive. But the other three where! YAY! They are half the size of the others that hatched on their own, is that normal? I'm guessing it's because they technically are younger?

Normal since they are 3-4 days younger. They may catch up. I had some that we're 4 inches when another was just 1.5 inch. They grow differently. Just enjoy them and when they get legs separate or put in much bigger container to lessen the fact they will eat pieces of each other.

Good luck.

ok thank you!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back