Axolotl snacking on algae

featherbutt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Mitch Guilderson
In my 75 gal setup, since it was first filled, planted and eventually populated, gradually it developed an algae issue, as can happen when you first add animals and feedings. Nothing serious, but there was a fair ammount of filamentous algae forming on the back glass and on the aquatic ferns.

My treatment was to remove the ferns and put them temporarily in my shrimp tank. then return them to the 75 gal. But i leave the algae on the back glass, because nothing outcompetes unsightly algae, than vibrantly growing, benign algae. Also ive added a few marimo balls as they are attractive forms of water filtering algae. And lots of milfoil for open areas

So now I have a fully planted tank no unsightly algae, and mosses and ferns slowly growing into areas with submerged wood, with 4 large axolotls. and today I noticed an odd thing. One of my subadult leucistics was snacking on the algae on the back glass. Just biting off strands of it and eating them. Never seen that before. figured they were obligate carnivores. But sure enough, it went for multiple bites, and apparently was swallowing. It's not exactly a substantial material, sort-of whispy and sparse, and certainly would be consumed in nature, unintentionally in large ammounts, But this seemed deliberate as there was no other food present in it. Just an observation.

One of my axies actually eats plants. It ate quite a bit of my java moss before I took it out. I think some axolotls fancy plants as well as worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back