Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tail shrinking

wian

Reaction score
Could any one help. My axies tail ( fan part) is becoming smaller and smaller. It is almost only on its lail.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Tail srinking

Have you tested the water for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH levels? The most important tests are for Ammonia and Nitrite (both are highly toxic).

What's the water temperature?

How large is the tank? (length x width x depth)

...and does the axolotl have any tankmates? (other axolotls, or feeder fish, etc).

Are you doing daily partial water changes? How often, and how much water do you replace each time?

What do you feed the axolotl? Are you cleaning the left over food out promptly after each feeding.

A little more information will help light our way. :happy: Please provide as much information as you can, to help us to help you.

wian

Reaction score

sorry for not coming back my tank is 1045mmLx31Wx32H i do a 20-30% once a week last time i checked about a week ago my parameters fine and the axie does have a tank mate its another axie (same size) whos tail is perfectly fine
i feed my axies axie pellets earthworms a mix frozen pack and beef heart. they are eating very well

wian

Reaction score

nobody. come on guys im really worriied

millerj76

Reaction score

Pictures would be great, and help to give a better diagnosis. There are so many different things that could be going on. There are quite a few threads related to tail shrinking on this site, just click the search option at the top of the page and type 'tail shrinking'. I'm sure you will get help there, if not then i'm sure with pictures added to this thread someone will be able to help,. Sorry for your wait for help with regards your first message, usually, most posts do get answered quicker, hope your axolotl is doing ok.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

sorry for not coming back my tank is 1045mmLx31Wx32H i do a 20-30% once a week last time i checked about a week ago my parameters fine and the axie does have a tank mate its another axie (same size) whos tail is perfectly fine
i feed my axies axie pellets earthworms a mix frozen pack and beef heart. they are eating very well

According to your thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/84031-nitrite-levels.html#post335595, you have very high levels in Nitrite (highly toxic). As your tank is still in the process of cycling, you should be doing DAILY partial water changes, weekly is not sufficient.

If you do daily water changes, this should help bring the nitrite back down.

Are you removing excess food promptly after feeding? If left over food is left in the tank for too long, it will very quickly foul the water, which can make the axolotls very sick and kill them.

As the others have requested, could you please post some photos of your axolotl and tell us the tank temperature.

The water temperature is very important. Axolotls are cold water animals. Warmer water temperatures (23C or higher) as well as being dangerous to the axolotl's health, can also increase the toxicity of toxins in the water (ammonia and nitrite) and raise them to deadly levels.

wian

Reaction score

hi water temperature is normally around 19 degrees celsius but its winter here so i am strating to invest in a chiller for when summer comes. ill take some pics when my axie comes out. we just cleaned and did a water change to her tank so shes hiding now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1