Can anyone help ? !!

tonijames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My baby axolotls are a month old. For the past week they have been dying off. They have daily water changes with treated, aged water. They have a variety of foods. I have tried fridging them too. Nothing is helping. I am not sure if they have developed slowly either as they have shown no sign of growing legs yet. I am sure I read that if their tails start to curl it is a bacterial infection, but if thats the case what do I do ?

how large are your set ups and how many babies are together?

What are you feeding, how often, and how soon after they eat do you change the water?

Do you do 100% water changes or partial water changes?

What temperature is their water kept at?

what size are your larvae?
Fridging isn´t an option for youngest larvae.

Tina

They are kept at room temperature, which is not hot but not cold, long sleeve top weather. There are 9 babies left now out of 18, all kept together. They have died off gradually over the past week. I have done partial and full changes to see if it would help. All with treated aged water. The past few days, I have been changing fridging then feeding. They eat microworms, daphnia and a few bloodworms.

They are small. I am worried that they have not shown signs of growing legs yet. I was advised on another forum to fridge for 20mins. They seem to be lively when I take them out of the fridge. They started dying off before I fridged them

ok, but fridging isn´t good for them. What size are the baby-axies in mm or cm or inches ? Do they eat? Do they have big, red bellies after feeding?
Can you provide a photo? This can be helpful.

Tina

They a probably 3 cm, but skinny. you can see their gills clearly though. The whiter ones have a red belly but I wouldnt say fat. I am getting brineshrimp tomorrow too. They werent really interested in blood worms

probably the bloodworms are too big for them. Try daphnia, BBS or blackworms.
... and please don´t fridge them - they must eat.

On another group they advised to fridge. I have tried daphnia, and I put in a mixture of sizes in case the big ones were too big. Blackworms arent easy to get here. I have found a supplier but they are so expensive. Getting some more bbs today too.

Although I cant offer much help, I must agree Dont fridge them! They're much too young for that and it will probably do more harm than good!

How big is the container or whatever you're keeping them in? since they're all together.? And yes a photo may help some people.

~ Good luck with the BBS!

Fridging them will slow down their growth and they will not have much appetite.

Are they a first spawn by any chance?

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back