No frills

Lebald

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have purchased a Nes axo and when I got him he had beautiful frills on the side of his head, I have had him home a week and he will not eat and the frills have disappeared. I have contacted the pet shop I got him form and they advised me to clean the large gravel they gave me and to do a 1/4 water change I have done this. He also pushes himself to the top of the tank and gulps water, the filter is the tank is bigger than the tank requires. I have tested the PH and it is ok and I did make sure the water was de chlorinated, as I lost the last Axo I had I will upload a picture once I have my computer up and running​

Temperature drop possibly? That explains why he hasn't been eating, do you have fish in there with him? If so the fish may be eating his gills. Check the temperature as soon as possible please :)

The temp is 24 degrees Celsius

24*C (75*F) is too hot for an axolotl! You should keep it below 21*C (70*F)
A good range is 16-20*C (60*f - 68*F)

Also, Axolotls should never be kept on gravel - remove that asap and leave it either bare bottomed or put a thin layer of aquarium sand in there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back