Help? Water temp. keeps changing.

Cocoapanda10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
RedMage
I do not have my Axolotl, but yesterday I seemed to disturb my aquarium by putting in decorations. I had a thermometer put in also. It read 19 celsius, but when I woke up this morning at 6 in the morning it said 20 celsius. At about 10 in the morning it was 22 celsius, then at one in the afternoon it read 20 celsius again.

And it's now 20 past four in the afternoon, and the tank reads 23 celsius.

I can't raise the temperature down because that's room temp. I get the Axolotl either on tuesday or wednesday. Should I load a small bottle with ice cubes and see what that does?

Would all of this temperature change kill the Axolotl when I get it? I did have the UV light on when I woke up and kept it on for a bit. When I noticed the thermometer read 21 celsius I turned it off. It's been off all day, but still the temperature goes UP.

I need help with this, please :(

If you have no live plants that need the light, I would leave it off. If your filter is in the tank or a hang on back that can increase temp as well since the impeller and motor transfer the heat to he water. If the hood on your tank is a full hood it can be trapping in a lot of heat and if there is condensation on the underside of your hood this can raise the temp a bit as well. You can do the ice bottle but try placing a small room fan blowing across the surface of the tank and see what that does.

Also the larger the tank the more constant the temp will stay.

If you have no live plants that need the light, I would leave it off. If your filter is in the tank or a hang on back that can increase temp as well since the impeller and motor transfer the heat to he water. If the hood on your tank is a full hood it can be trapping in a lot of heat and if there is condensation on the underside of your hood this can raise the temp a bit as well. You can do the ice bottle but try placing a small room fan blowing across the surface of the tank and see what that does.

Also the larger the tank the more constant the temp will stay.

Ah, I'll be getting live plants on tuesday. I wake up and there's condensation in the tank, the filter is a hang on back (I think) but it is also a sponge filter. The tank is 60cm Long, 30cm Wide and 30cm tall.
Got any suggestions?

Hey, I have some good news! The tank is 22 celsius again! I'll be monitoring it for the next hour to see if any other temperature lowering occurs.

Is your tank near a heat source at all? Like a radiator or near a window. The biggest problem I see at them moment is that this is only spring time, the temperatures will get higher through out summer.
You may need to consider moving the tank somewhere cooler perhaps.

Is your tank near a heat source at all? Like a radiator or near a window. The biggest problem I see at them moment is that this is only spring time, the temperatures will get higher through out summer.
You may need to consider moving the tank somewhere cooler perhaps.

Nope, the nearest radiator is about five feet away, but the nearest window is about 2 metres up, but the tank is in the shade. The only rooms I have in my house are:
The living room
The kitchen
My 2 brother's bedroom
Mum and dad's room
Bathroom
Downstairs toilet
My sister's bedroom
My bedroom
My mum's changing room
The computer room (which is actually now a gaming setup. PC & Ps3 in together with some old PC pieces)
The loft (which gets down to atleast 5 degrees in there, and there's spiders, it's also not even 1 foot off the ceiling. P.S I think there's a rat in there)

So obviously I haven't got a basement. I have a porch storage room, with my old hamster's (one hamster died 4 years ago and my 2 dwarf hamsters died 1 year ago) cage and my old rabbit's cage (Rabbit passed away about 7 years ago) plus it's pretty easy to rob the tank in there.

So, yeah, I can't move the tank. One option I do have though is to disable the radiator until the Autumn, but in my area it's not usually warm, pretty freaking cold actually!

I have chilled the tank with an ice pack and have turned off the filter and the light, kept my window and feeding hatch open too. It's stayed at 20 celsius for the past 2 hours. I'm trying to lower it down to about 18 celsius or i'll have to do a water change.

There are a few things you could do... I personally don't have a chiller 'cause I just don't have enough money to buy one. But if you can, this is still the best thing you can do to avoid these big tempature changes. Other then that, there are some more options:

- If you have a lid that covers your tank and you can take it of, do it. That will cause your lamp to heat the water less (or you could just turn the light off, but if you'll get live plants you can't always do that).
- I always have some 1.5 liter bottles in the freezer, those big bottles will cool the water more then a smaller one (seems logic).If you would have an external filter, you could put some icebottles next to it too...
- I fill the tank with as much water as possible, because the more water, the more time it'll need to warm up.
- This seems a bit silly, but covering the glass of the tank with wet towels could also help a little.
- Ventilation. As I said, taking the lid off helps, but putting a ventilator above the water after you did that helps too!
- Turn the radiator off, it'll be a little colder in your room, but you'll survive it!
- If you're out of options: do daily waterchanges. This will disturb your waterquality a little, but I guess that would be better than a tank that's way to hot!

Well, these are the only tips I can give you... The last thing you could do if you have a really hot summer is to put your axolotls in the fridge for that period, but let's hope you won't need to do that. Keep the room they're in as dark as possible and open your windows at night.

Doesn't look like i'm getting an Axolotl anytime soon, unfortunately :( The shop sold their last one (I didn't think that guy would make it. He had a deformed leg, was cannibalistic, and I don't really like the colour of him). The ones that were ordered all died while being delivered from a bumpy ride.
So they're only getting some in stock on monday next week...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back