Question: Are Axolotls Jumpers?

Spudss

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

Iv been trying to find out if Axolotls tend to jump out of tanks... I searched around the posts here and didnt find much on it. I read (google) they can jump if startled and its happend to some people.... im wondering how high can they jump!

My tank has no lid... The water is a good 5-6 iches down from the glass and there are floating plants covering the surface. So do you guys think its possible for an axolotl to jump out?

In my experience you should be ok. I fill my 40 long right to the top and have had no issues. If you are worried though make some sort of edge boarder around the top.

I'm not able to answer your question however if you're worried that yours MAY jump then just put something over the opening. I currently don't have a hood for my tank so I'm using 2 polystyrene sheets over the top just as a safety measure in case my little one gets startled. That's just a temporary measure of course :happy:

I have a grate lid for my axolotl tank. It costs just as much as the tank, but it has been well worth it. It's actually for a terrarium, but it allows airflow to help keep the temperatures down. I didn't get it for axolotls jumping out though, I got it for cat jumping in.

In my experience, they do get startled and jump, but they've never jumped very far out of the water. Kinda grazed it really. Out of all the aquatic creatures I've ever had, the only ones with a jumping problem are betta and sharks.

My axolotls actually do it pretty often cos they used to be by a computer desk and my boyfriend would sit right in front of the tank and occasionally bump it. I think the dogs and cat scare them sometimes too. In fact, I've done it a few times taking the lid off the tank during feeding, so I see them jump a lot, but their bodies have never come out of the water.

Hi,

Iv been trying to find out if Axolotls tend to jump out of tanks... I searched around the posts here and didnt find much on it. I read (google) they can jump if startled and its happend to some people.... im wondering how high can they jump!

My tank has no lid... The water is a good 5-6 iches down from the glass and there are floating plants covering the surface. So do you guys think its possible for an axolotl to jump out?
Yes, it is possible for them to jump out of their tank and if it occurs, may have fatal consequences. You need a lid for your enclosure; wire mesh lids can aid in cooling as they allow for evaporation.

Thanks for the info... I have also kept fish in open top tanks (Not know jumpers) with no problems. I also make sure the water level is a good 5" down.

I actually orginally made a DIY mesh led for the tank... I cant use it now becuase im growing plants out if the tank....
DSC04816.jpg

I think ill just tape the edges of the tank. after a bit more research it seems they are'nt know jumpers... and its very unlikely they willl with surface plants and lowered water level.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back