Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

9 day old eggs, little change?

maree8ree

Reaction score
Hello, 9 days ago I found my axolotl Rodger (clearly we named her before we knew she was a girls!!) had had 24 eggs!! We are very excited, but now they are not doing anything! I am a bit worried they may be dead :(

They changed a bit over the first few days but do not appear to have done anything since. I moved them into a separate tank, just after I found them. The water in the tank was struggling to reach 17degrees, was mostly around 14-16 degrees so I added a heater so the tank is now sitting just under 20 degrees. I thought the slow development was due to the cold. The tank water has been de chlorinated and I have an air stone in the water also.

I am a bit worried they may be dead L I have removed two that were milky as I understood from different threads these would be dead and I did not want them going off and effecting my other hopefuls!

Any ideas?:confused:

millerj76

Reaction score
Hello, first of all you should take the heater out, these creatures do better the colder the water is, 18 degrees is the max you want to let it go. If your eggs are nine days old they should no longer be little dots, but a little similar to a half moon shape, most eggs i know of and from experience take 14 days plus to hatch. NO airstone, the water the eggs are in should have no movement, even when they are born, don't use an airstone , just daily water changes. There is plenty of help on this site, so have a look and i'm sure you'll find any answers you need.

maree8ree

Reaction score
Thanks John, I removed the heater and air stone after you reply the other day. Still no change in the eggs at all. I have look at a number of threads and the pictures that I have found have been helpful, tho most of them make me worry that the eggs are no good! A couple of the eggs have very fine hair looking things going on them, guessing this is not a good sign!

What would be the longest time you would give the eggs before they should be more than a half moon? On any of the pictures/ timelines I have seen my eggs appear to be about at the 5day mark? At what point do I give up on them?

I am unsure if this is Rodgers first batch of eggs, while I got her from the pet shop, she was already huge!!

Hope I am over reacting……………..

millerj76

Reaction score
Hello again, if your eggs are no good, what normally happens, is you will see no change in shape or size and then normally quite quickly a white mucus will form around the embryo, which then turns the egg cloudy. Some eggs take longer to hatch than others, at the earliest 14 days but some can take til day 21 to hatch, hopefully you are still seeing change's in them, although i do have to say that maybe being kept at the higher temperature's in their early days may possibly have had an adverse affect on them. Most people will keep the eggs at around 16-18 degree's max, but to slow the growth, incase you need longer to hatch food for them, people will drop the temperature lower, i've had eggs at 8 degrees(over xmas it was cold here). If you are able to add any pictures of your eggs, that would be helpful, i realise they are hard to photograph, but it is possible. If you need help to get picture's on let me know, it is quite easy. Wishing your eggs the best,,,

maree8ree

Reaction score
maree8ree-albums-eggs-11days.html

Attachments

• DSC00032.jpg
    DSC00032.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,031
  • DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 988
Last edited:

maree8ree

Reaction score
Not sure if my pictures have worked, will try again, if not! (the pics I have taken seem ok, and show the eggs ok) Thanks for the feed back...these eggs are doing my head in! I had the heater in the tank for 2day ( so days 8 & 9, until I posted) I hope this was not the cause,the temp never went above 20degrees. I had got the heater as they were not changing........

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The ones that look furry are most likely duds and have a fungus, these need to be removed to prevent it possibly spreading.
I suspect these may not be fertile, first batches may be like this. Also when axolotl lay eggs, they produce lots and lots. Is Rodger in with a male at the moment?

maree8ree

Reaction score
yeah rodger is in with, neville, bernard & wilba. Also another female Alfred. I will remove the eggs with the fury bits. Do infertile eggs change at all? I was assuming as they had changed some they were fertilized, this is all very new to me! I was abit shocked that she had only had such a small amount of eggs, she is a big girl!

789727a4-c2ba-3d9d.jpg

Rodger (golden albino) with wilba, pictured above

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

millerj76

Reaction score
Not sure if my pictures have worked, will try again, if not! (the pics I have taken seem ok, and show the eggs ok) Thanks for the feed back...these eggs are doing my head in! I had the heater in the tank for 2day ( so days 8 & 9, until I posted) I hope this was not the cause,the temp never went above 20degrees. I had got the heater as they were not changing........
Ok, so to my knowledge, i am pretty sure that not any of the eggs in the pictures are any good, but also, this is not down to how you have kept them. I have just had a batch of eggs, the strange thing was that this was only a small batch, just under 100, and my girl had previously had 2 batch'es of over 250 egg's. With this small batch of egg's most were ok, but a few were no good and i even had 3 that were deformed. I had a few eggs that seemed to be changing, but as the days went past, they never really progressed, although they seemed to be alive. I have even gave them over a week and a half after all other eggs hatched and they still have not progressed. These therefore have been culled. It's upto you how long to keep them and hope that they hatch, but i would say if they do eventually hatch, they will probably have difficulties. It's sad, i know, but as with all axolotl eggs, casualties are common, the good thing is you have some hatchlings that have made it, so now you will give them more attention, like i did, as really don't want to lose anymore. Sorry for bad news but the pictures are quite identical to the bad ones i had.

maree8ree

Reaction score
Thanks john, Sadly it is all the eggs, they are all the same and none have hatched at all. Sounds like maybe time to say good bye and wait for the next batch......am guessing it may take me a day or two to take the plunge........
On the up side I will be well prepare, all my stuff to feed babies has arrived.......

millerj76

Reaction score
If you need any further help, then this is the best place to get it. I have previously raised 2 batch'es of eggs and am raising at the moment, my first batch of eggs that i raised were fed the boiled yolk from an egg, that was from day 1 till day 10, then i started them on frozen bloodworm, my second batch i used a fish fry food (liquifry no2), i used that for about 4 days, did'nt think they were doing to well, and introduced them to frozen bloodworm, they took to it well. My current batch of hatchlings have been successfully feeding, from day 1, on frozen bloodworm, they are clearly feeding well as you can see the food in their belly,. So there are lots of different ways that people raise the hatchlings, it's good to have different options, it's a case of finding what suits you, and is good for the babies too. It would be good to hear how you plan to raise your hatchlings. I also named my golden albino (alice) before realising she was actually he,(now alicecooper).

maree8ree

Reaction score
It appears that both our Golden Albino's have gender identity issues! Lol
I had purchased brine shrimp eggs and hatchery from the net already to go. So they will keep until next time. Very interesting to hear about the egg yolk feed, it is good to have other options.
I am hoping that my other Girl ‘Alfred’ (albino) has some eggs soon, she has had eggs/ babies in the past with her old owner,(adopted her after her 11yo owner gave her up for a turtle!) so hoping for a happier outcome soon……….

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to put any, what appear to be dud eggs out doors in a bucket of water....just on the off chance I was wrong. So far I have not found any surprise larvae :(

maree8ree

Reaction score
Ummm great idea bella, think that maybe the plan for me also..... Just incase!

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

maree8ree

Reaction score
Hello! VERY excited my Albino Alfred is laying eggs! fingers crossed we go better this time!

maree8ree

Reaction score
Will see how many I end up with! the count so far 38! this is my first time so will not want to be trying to take on too many!

maree8ree

Reaction score
WOW over 220 eggs! way to many for me to look after.... looking for homes!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!