Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Mernewt revisited

almndxeyez

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a newtlet that surfaced about a month ago. To our dismay, it's missing its hind legs.

Chances seem grim, but we're trying our best for it & I don't want to just give up.

It is separated from the other more aggressive newtlets & lives w/ just one other. It is smaller than the others, but I'm very happy that it seems interested in eating.

Looks like it likes live fruitflies, as it moves towards them during feeding time. But I think that the flies might be too fast for it. I've also tried something more slow moving like live bloodworms, but it's never taken interest to them.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to find something that's slow moving on land. Also, something feasible & not too time consuming: my career runs a pretty hectic schedule. I really want to avoid hand-feeding if possible.

Let me know & thanks!
Eileen.

evut

Reaction score
You could try chopped worms from the garden and lesser waxworms. If the worms have any secretions, rinse them first. Put them on a piece of damp tissue to prevent them from drying out too quickly. You can also use a jar lid with a piece of damp tissue to keep them in one place.

almndxeyez

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I was also conetmplating springtails. Would this also be another option?

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They would also work, depending on the size of the newtlets. You could also try putting fruitflies in the fridge for a while before feeding to slow them right down.

C

almndxeyez

Reaction score
Umm, well there's a alot of inbreeding w/in my terrarium. But not sure if this is the culprit.

This guy started out w/ all 4 legs as a larvae. The 2 somehow disappeared & the front ones that are left are pretty spindly & the hands(?) don't have any digits on them.

I really appreciate your idea on fridging the flies. I've been trying this a couple times this week!

I'm contemplating on isolating the guy alone so I can keep track of, well, its poop.

almndxeyez

Reaction score
Sadly, he/she lost all appetite & died a couple weeks ago. So sad, heartbroken!! :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!